alternative to milk

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by morning rush, Jan 11, 2011.

1. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I know there's soy milk, there's also almond milk and rice there any other? have you taste any of the alternative? have you noticed improvement on your health? any info?

I tasted chocolate almond milk and that was awesome!!!!
  2. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Lactose free milk.

I drank this for a while when i thought i might be lactose intolerant (I wasn't) and no i didn't notice and improvement with my health.
  3. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

4. morning rush

lactose free milk is still cow milk...I"m looking for substitute to cow milk...
  5. morning rush

pretty cool list, I have almond breeze at home, chocolate flavor and its gluten free and vegan and tastes good...

the one I'm worried about is rice milk...not sure I"m going to like it...

I personally never drank milk because I was lactose allergic, only cheese I eat is mozzarella and I dont eat any other dairy products so...
  6. Romancer

Romancer Well-Known Member

oat milk and coconut milk. :)
    both yummy
  7. morning rush

coconut milk, of course, I forgot about it...oat milk? many alternatives...I gotta say though almond chocolate milk tastes better and better as I drink more of it...
  8. FlashingFlickering

FlashingFlickering Well-Known Member

I had soy milk once.
    Only once because 1: It tasted absolutely disgusting and 2: I discovered I was allergic to soy.
    If you do try it, only have a very tiny sip to start and wait a bit. Soy is a very common allergy to have and as you probably already know, allergic reactions usually suck.
  9. morning rush

oh wow I'm so sorry :( I'm not allergic to soy, I ate soy pudding and other soy product so if I was allergic I would have reacted...I could be allergic to other types of ingredient though so you're right...I will see
  10. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

yummmmm soy milk... I've been fiending on chocolate soy milk recently... So Delish!! I buy a carton everyday (exaggerate) after work, sometimes up to three.
  11. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

vanilla almond milk is my milk of choice
  12. Socialman

Socialman Well-Known Member

I drink almond milk. I keeps me from getting the gas and the nasty milk taste in my mouth.
  13. lurktheshadows

lurktheshadows Well-Known Member

I grew up on soy milk..because I was allergic to milk when I was little (I'm not now, I just never drink it)
    so I love the taste of soy milk, but soy has a lot of estrogen in it and my hormones are super screwed up so I avoid it/use it in moderation

be careful of "flavored" milks..i.e: vanilla almond milk (especially anything chocolate obviously) they're FULL of sugar

really, it's not necessary to drink milk/alternative milk products...if you need the calcium, take a supplement

OR even better: make your own almond milk, it's kind of fun, and really healthy

I just usually drink water =/

I know it's a dairy product but plain whole-milk yoghurt is extremely good for you and your ..entrails lol
    I use that if I want to eat cereal or something (I eat the cereal like it's granola)
    that was random and a bit impertinent lol

anyway: I would say stay away from rice milk (very little nutrients) and soy milk (unless in moderation) and "flavored" nutmilks..otherwise it's fine, just look at the nutrition facts
  14. morning rush

well cow milk isn't as good as you make it out to be...first I'm lactose intolerant, and there is so much hormones and chemicals in that, its really bad...

it can make your asthma really bad, its makes your body create more mucus...which I don't other milks are better...and I don't know if you've looked at the nutrients of almond milk but there are a lot of good ones, at least in the ones I drink....

drinking water all the time is boring...

here is a great place to get facts about cow milk and other types:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2011
  15. lurktheshadows

lurktheshadows Well-Known Member

drinking cow's milk isn't good for you, agreed (well, it depends on the person, different people react to different foods in vastly different ways..that was redundant)

but yoghurt, which is processed sometimes fermented milk, is indeed good for you
    I've been told this by multiple Natropaths, and have researched this extensively
    I've been a vegetarian for over 5 years, I know a lot about the food I ingest

some studies that indicate that ALL dairy is horrible for you have no scientific basis whatsoever

drink juice then

by the way: that website looks totally illegitimate....look into rawmilk websites, raw milk can actually be beneficial to you
    but many people do not agree with dairy physically, so, should be avoided..just saying <3
  16. Isabel

Isabel Staff Alumni

Goat milk is more digestible than cow milk because the fats are more soluble.

Raw cow milk usually does not result in lactose intolerance because the enzymes naturally present in the milk to help digestion are not degraded by pasteurization. The only thing, it is hardly available and you must know for a fact that the farmer and dairy do an absolutely impeccable job to keep pathogens out.

I am not sure that soy milk, unless organic, is a great alternative since the soybeans grown are mostly GMOs and heavily spread with herbicides. As well, now, most of the almond are pasteurized so, how much of the nutrients are probably destroyed by the heating process.

Most juices are absolute crap considering how heavily they are processed. if they were not adding flavor pack to orange juice, it would probably taste like gatorade.

So, how about tap water?
  17. Romancer

Romancer Well-Known Member

ofc not all soy milk isnt organic, i write to all the companies that produce and make sure they don't use GMO soy, if they don't reply or say it's gmo, i don't use that product anymore. ^^

soy milk is healthier in an ethical way. ^^
    (unless you get your cow milk directly from the farm, you're basically screwed when it comes to milk. i do agree that knowing where you get your products is everything, most of the people don't. ^^)

also, soy yoghurt has some bacteria that you're looking for in a normal yoghurt (if you're allergic to lactose). B12 however it's easier to get in pill form (but if you just stopped eating eggs/milk, it stays in your blood for a year or two, so no worries). :)
  18. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I've deleted several posts from this thread. This isn't the soap box, and I'm thinking the author wasn't looking for an argument, just for alternatives.
  19. Jackie's Strength

Jackie's Strength Staff Alumni

Yes, as someone mentioned, there's lactose-free milk. I just bought that this week, as I finally figured out I may be lactose-intolerant after feeling sick several times in a relatively short period after having anything with milk. We shall see how it goes. Oh, and I love soya :eek:)
  20. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

had milk allergy as a child. Drank goats milk. Stuff tastes ghastly. Now no longer allergic. Hate goats milk. Hate cows milk.