Alternatives to self harming

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Petal, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

-Drawing and painting what you feel inside is easier than expressing it in words.

-Bottle banks are a great way to smash glass when the need arises, but in a safe environment.

-Tearing up newspapers.This uses up a lot of strength and anger.

-Hold ice cubes in your hand, try to crush them. This has the same effect but without long term physical effects.

-Flatten aluminium cans for recycling,seeing how fast you can go.

-Listen to music and sing along loudly.

-Viciously stab a piece of fruit.

-Run your hands under freezing cold water.

-Clap your hands until it stings.

-Bite into a hot pepper or chew a piece of ginger root.

-Put tiger balm on the places you want to cut. (Tiger balm is a muscle relaxant cream that induces a tingly sensation. You can find it in most health food stores and vitamin stores.)

-Hitting a punch bag to vent anger and frustration.

-Writing down thoughts and feelings on paper and possibly ripping them up.

-Any form of physical exercise.
  2. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Love the ice cube trick, I could see myself using that one

I had to laugh about the bath..that is my number one trick I use to prevent mutilating myself-I call it taking a Bellevue Bath. I do not use lots of water but it is cold. My shrink about fell over when I told him this years ago - he said they used to give cold baths a lot ages ago at the psych hospitals he says that they believe it startles the nervous system so it gets distracted and then the mind is distracted as a result.
    Works for my mutilating thoughts and my suicidal thoughts
  3. Nicole_O91

Nicole_O91 Active Member

The fruit idea seems useful although my family would end up seeing it in the bin and ask me about it.
    I might buy some tiger palm though.
  4. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Strap a rubber band around your wrist, then snap it when you feel that you wanna cut yourself. It's harmless but it HURTS.
  5. plates

plates Well-Known Member

cutting my hair. when my head is practically shaved- it's a telling sign of the violence within. :evil:

my hair's growing out quite nicely now though but there was a time :laugh: when i was wearing a semi-fucked up mohawk.
  6. plates

plates Well-Known Member

walking around in the cold has helped me ground myself a lot. something about contact and needing contact, if it's sharp cold air on my skin, it's good as it makes me feel a lot more held.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.