Alternatives to Zyprexa

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Nessarose, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Nessarose

Nessarose Well-Known Member

I am going to see the psychiatrist tomorrow anyway, but I was curious: what other medications are available for treating schizophrenia? I have gained thirty pounds on Zyprexa, and my medical doctor told me some medications (which I forgot) that the psychiatrist could put me on instead. Also, Zyprexa seems to have a high incidence of causing people to develop diabetes. (Just had my blood sugar checked a few days ago; haven't gotten the results yet.)

If you know of any, which do you have experience with/ would you suggest? Do all anti-psychotics cause weight gain and high blood sugar?
  2. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

Zyprexa made me gain 50 pounds within 7 months, it was because I never felt full and ate constantly, I think that would be the reason for the increase of chance of diabetes.. the only other anti-psychotic I was on was respridol ( I think that was the one) and it never did that to me...
  3. Nessarose

Ah, awesome. I'll mention it to my psych. Thanks!
  4. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

There's quite a few - Seroquel, Risperdal, Abilify and some others. Just search for 'atypical antipsychotics'. I've been on zyprexa and fully understand what you mean about the weight gain. You must remember that all of antipsychotics cause weight gain, just not as drastically as zyprexa. Risperdal worked well on my symptoms but caused some side effects so the psychiatrist decided to stop it. At the moment I'm on seroquel and haven't had any problems, maybe you could mention this? Be warned though, it'll make you sleep for 14 hours a night. :laugh:
  5. Nessarose

Haha. Thanks for the info :).

The psychiatrist increased my dosages of Zyprexa and Zoloft. She promised to switch to me another medication when I'm doing better (she was ready to hospitalize me).
  6. InnerStrength

InnerStrength Well-Known Member

You may want to try GEODON, I think it is the antipsychotic that has the least potential for weight gain. I think.