Alternatuve to AA

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by galalleni, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galalleni

galalleni Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows an alternative to AA. When I went (for about 6 months) the only people I found were old men complaining about their wives drinking habits and how they felt superior because they had stopped drinking - only people my age in there were sent by the courts and left as soon as they had enough signatures, and they hardly ever spoke.

I also don't like the message AA has to offer - start performing more ritualistic teachings from the 'big book' or 'twelve steps' - I have always steered clear of religious ritualism and find it uncomfortable to be around. Any alternatives anyone knows about would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2008
  2. I hear ya'...:sad:

Had to go through several resources myself - and didn't much care for AA either. It simply isn't for everyone, though it's on the tip of everyone's tongue as THE place. :mad: And yeah, the 'reformed' ones can be the worst...

Of course, all the groups vary from meeting to meeting as well as location - but I wasn't willing (or able) to investigate each one! (ffs)

I did find different places through my community - dealing specifically with addiction. Counselling as well as an outreach worker (and as many other resources I was pointed in the direction of!). You might start there...yellow pages or online - look under as many headings as you can think of (BTW - I didn't much care for the detox centre either as they pretty much towed the AA party line - just had a different name. Grrrr)

I ended up having to go out of town to a hospital with a unique program called "Concurrent Disorders" - for people dealing with multiple issues other than just addiction alone. And here's a link for an online community (though there are a lot of AA'ers there as well - but not the only ones!)

Hope this gives you a start...
    Last edited: May 12, 2008
  3. ZundertowZ

ZundertowZ Well-Known Member

if u find anything let me know! i had the same prob with AA! if ur not a bible thumper its very uncofortable. i could us a alternative asap. im spiriling out of control!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.