Always depressed at night.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by darkrider, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkrider

darkrider Well-Known Member

At night my brain seems to function better. In the day as well as being completely emotionless I tend to have little thought process at all. I just vegetate, dazed and confused I guess. Late at night my mind clears, but along with that comes the stark reality of my life, and the endless isolation and loneliness I feel. As everyone is asleep I come on the computer and listen to music and read, but usually end up even worse reading about other people, or even the slightest things. I've read depression is often worse for people in the morning, I don't feel great in the morning but at night it's just overwhelming. I was wondering if anyone else has this.?
  2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Yeah. In my therapy group, one of the facilitators put out his theory [since others noticed this] that it has to do with not being busy at night. During the day, you're likely to be interacting with other people and doing things, so the depression doesn't come out.
  3. Juliaa

Juliaa Well-Known Member

i feel like that too, like during the day i usually feel fine, great even. but then once i'm by myself i feel depressed again. but i need my alone time, if i had people around me 24/7 that would make me go insane and more depressed.
    it's a lose/lose situation.
  4. darkrider

darkrider Well-Known Member

I'm by myself during the day too. I rarely go out because I don't have anything to go out for. There's things I should do such as look for a job but i'm just fucked mentally, I don't have the courage to leave the house sometimes. During the day it feels like my head is in a cloud, but at night it feels like my brain is working again.
  5. Earn

Earn Well-Known Member

I feel the same way alot of times.what ive noticed is when your busy during the day the nights feel alot better.i wont get as depressed at night if i had a full day.maybe you can try running some erands or do somethings around the house in the morning.maybe try exercising after a light breakfest.alot of those things have helped me.
  6. stevtomato

stevtomato Member

That happens to me a lot of times, especially 2 years ago. I don't know why, but the only guess I could make is that I was lonely. 2years ago, I quit my boarding school and moved out to another city to study, and I barely knew anybody. So I end up staying on msn the whole day and night and chat with my old friends, when they aren't online that's when I'm depressed the most.

I'm in a new city now, but I'm fine because I've got a lot of internet friends and real life friends! :D

Well, you could brainstorm (with yourself?) about why you are sad.

When was the first time you feel sad?

When you found that, think of the changes that happened at the same time, maybe that's what upset you.
  7. Mightbehere

Mightbehere Well-Known Member

I find its the opposite I am depressed when I wake u and it gets better during the night.
  8. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I use to go three days with no sleep, then I would crash about four hours and be right back up doing the same thing. Then I reached out for help. Now I go to bed around ten and am back up between midnight and one thrity. Once I am up I am up the rest of the night. Here lately I have started taking a nap during the day for about two hours. Then my dog will start jumping all over me trying to get me up. I have sleep aptnea I stop breathing like eleven times a minute. I have been diagnosed with this and am suppose to wear a mask over my nose and attached to a pump to make me breath. The only problem is that I yank it off in my sleep so I quit wearing it. I don't know how I got off on a tangent excuse me Back on subject!!
    I prefer nights because no one is up f*****g with me. I live at my sisters house and she tries to talk to me when we are both up. I have nothing to say so I just stand there looking at her. I don't know when it has changed from day to night!I wish you well!!~joseph~
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.