Am a bad person if...

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by ExtraSoap, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ExtraSoap

ExtraSoap Well-Known Member

...I legitimately try to believe in god, but simply can't base it on faith alone. My personality has always been scientific; give me irrefutable proof or I just can't believe in it. I want god to exist, but faith for me is nearly nonexistent.

2. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Re: Am I a bad person if...

Of course not. It is my opinion that the major tenet of many major religions, to believe in the absence of verifiable proof, is completely unreasonable. No one is justified in making you feel bad for not signing on to their preferred belief package.

3. ExtraSoap

Yeah, I was just wondering. I personally hate those bible pushers. I was just doubting whether being an agnostic is acceptable in a Catholics (or any religion really) eyes

4. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

Belief or disbelief in God has nothing to do with being a good or bad person. To see this, one need only look at the substantial number of both theists and atheists who are decent/horrible people.

5. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

As to whether the good/bad ratio is applicable is the question. A remarkable number of theists are bible pushers, ponzi schemers, glass lookers, etc etc etc.

I've been rooted in theism for a large extent of my life. However, there is a time to outgrow such childish notions of good and evil.

6. eagles_fan

eagles_fan Well-Known Member

No, you are not a bad person. Belief in god doesn't mean shit. Some religious people will look down on you and think you're a terrible person just because you don't believe in their religion. Those people aren't even aware of their own hypocritical personalities. I've encountered Christians who were deep in their believes who treated me like crap. What makes you a good or bad person are the morals you hold dear in your heart and the way you keep to them. What makes you a good or bad person is following The Golden Rule and respecting everyone you meet. You have to have empathy for everyone and try to see things from their perspective. Sometimes someone may treat you like shit. That's the only reason not to respect anyone, ExtraSoap.

7. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Ok Catholic here, who married an atheist :lol!:
    Faith is not something one can conjurer out of nowhere, or base on any fact/scientific theory etc.
    You either have it or you don't.
    There was a whole documentary on a "faith gland" apparently, years ago we had a gland that has kind of attrified in a lot of people.
    Am assuming this gland is kind of like the third eye that psychics and buddist talk about. Who knows.
    Anyway, when I have a crisis of faith (practically a daily event at the moment :laugh:) I think about all the people who have faith.
    Not just the common herd, am talking about great thinkers and philosphers.
    That kind of gets me through the dark times, but as I said, faith is one of those things you either have or you dont and no-one is better or worse for having it or not having it.

8. ExtraSoap

oh thank god. After listening to all of those crazy catholics (by that I dont mean all catholics, just the bigoted ones) I was starting to doubt whether I would be a good person in gods eyes if he actually exists.

9. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

You really shouldn't associate 'God' with any organized religion-- which is mostly politics anyways… people manipulating other people's hopes and fears into something that they can profit from. The very idea of 'faith' has been perverted into a reason to stop thinking and trust people who don't deserve your trust. So yeah, in short, I believe in God, but I don't believe in people… well, I believe in them, but I don't think they're particularly significant, and I also believe that there's a lot of ignorance in the world and it causes problems… problems which wouldn't exist if the ignorant people just admitted that they're ignorant and stopped acting like they actually know what God is like, what He/She/It 'wants', and what His/Her/Its 'rules' are… it's pretty obvious that NO ONE has the right answer and anyone who acts like he/she does is just kidding themselves.

I can't remember where I read it now, maybe it was a Buddhist book or in a class or something-- but I really like the idea that the mind is actually the sixth sense organ… so when you imagine, you're not just conjuring fictions, you're actually perceiving things that exist--so those thoughts are there for a reason, and they exist, so God must be real in at least that sense-- but I also believe that there are aspects of our thoughts that even we don't understand… I mean, they don't occur at random, they're inspired by something and they're mixing with other things and when you really think about it the thoughts themselves are just representations of things that go even deeper… so really it's actually kind of difficult NOT to believe in God. Of course, those representations aren't always accurate and they're influenced by the physiological as well… is that scientific enough for you?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2011
  10. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I believe there are so many roads to wisdom, and most truly good and creative people take unconventional ones...we are what we do...our actions determine who we are...as I do not believe in altruism, as even the most giving act has a person gain, I always ask myself whether the planet was better having me been here...these are the determinants of 'goodness'.

11. ExtraSoap

Oh I always knew mainstream religion was just a sick way for the leaders to get political power (al qaeda for example). It's just that once you hear enough of it, you start to believe it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.