Am I crazy? ...well crazier then what I am...

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by SaraRose, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

I've always wondered but never could ask. But hell why not here. At least here I'm not seeing your face so it's easier for me to ask...

...am I totally insane since I still have "imaginary friends?" I know how stupid I'm in my late 20's and still have "imaginary friends." They help when I'm alone. I know they're fake, I know they aren't here and I'm the only one that sees or hears them. I know they aren't real.

But at the same time they are always around me. In my head (oh like that doesn't make me sound crazy). I can talk to them (not physically, it's all in my head), laugh with them, they are the few that I can just say whatever random thing I want and they don't judge me. They are the ones I can talk about my real intrests without being judged, without hearing "aren't you too old for that" or "what a weird thing to like."

I've always had imaginary friends all my life, the names and people change as the years go by. But usually they pretty much stay the same.

Yeah...stupid and embarrassing. See this is why I've never mentioned it to anyone. Not even my family. Cuz I know they would see me as a freak. I don't mind completely because it keeps me busy. Keeps away some of the lonliness (how can you be lonely when you got 2 other people running around talkin and laughing). But sometimes I just wanna be able to stop it before I make a mistake and let it slip.

I've tried ignoring it, telling myself it's not real. But it doesn't help because they still stay there, and pop up when I least expect it. And please don't tell me "go find real friends." Hasn't worked so far in my life.

2. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I sometimes talk to myself too, when I'm thinking out loud, so I guess I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I think it would be pretty cool to have a girlfriend who has imaginary friends, though I'm sure that a lot people would find that strange. There would be never a dull moment. Do you actually have conversations with them or just think about them? Do they have names? Are they nice imaginary people or do they tell you bad things too? Could they be ghosts that you're communicating with?

3. Samara

Samara Account Closed

SaraRose, is it possible that they are "real"? By this, I mean, that they are no longer "imaginary friends"? Is it possible, that this could be a condition? Forget what is normal or what other people do or don't do...for a moment, and consider if you'd be open to the idea that perhaps they are no longer imaginary friends, but rather are a condition that you perhaps have?

What you described, to still be so heavily able to do what you said, as you did mention, most people lose that ability in their imagination. Perhaps that area of your brain is over-active, or maybe there is something else underlying leading to what you described. It also depends on whether you want it fixed or not?

Is this something you don't want to happen anymore? Do they disturb you? Do they say or suggest things to you?

Or is it more of just people that are around, kind of lack background images?

I am in no way suggesting you have what the video I am about to show has going on, but I wonder if you can relate to anything that this girl discusses in the video, about her own experiences and how it affects her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjqRYgICgdU

Again, is this something you want gone from your life? Is it hurting you? I think this is really something that you should explore with a professional who has dealt specifically in the are you described. They might be able to help you make more sense of whether or not this is something you want around, or something you should be able to get through life having etc.... without too many repercussions. Depends on you. But definitely something worth checking into, if it's really making you self conscious lately.

And asking about whether or not you are crazy, would depend on what your actual diagnosis is anyway? If you had the exact diagnosis as the girl in the video I shared above, I would not think you are crazy. I would want to understand more of what you are seeing, and how that works for you. I don't think that people who experience what you are describing are really crazy, they are just seeing things that I cannot... they are hearing sounds and noises.

I hear sounds in my brain all the time that nobody else does. Sometimes it's a song stuck in my head, and I am the ONLY one who can hear it. It's just a bit different for you what that sound is, and what that image is... this time your images and sounds are more elaborate. I don't think that's crazy... honestly show me one person on this forum, or anywhere...who has not sat around and daydreamed while awake, about something, and saw images and sounds right before their eyes?

Or someone who hasn't had a song stuck in their head? Or someone who hasn't had an audio memory come to mind, out of nowhere, that only they can be aware of in their mind?

4. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I talk to myself quite regularly... internally, online, and even out loud (as long as I think nobody is watching or listening, though I've been caught before). I guess I wouldn't really call it imaginary friends, because I don't visualize actual people with names or anything... just more along the lines of competing voices in my head.

Lol, "voices in my head"... see, almost anything you say can come across as being crazy. I don't mean that I hear voices that are beyond my control, the "voices" are my own thoughts, and sometimes one of my thoughts conflicts with another one of my thoughts. In fact, it happens quite regularly, and I end up arguing with myself.

I also do daydream about people who don't exist, more or less figments of my imagination... basically, what I think it comes down to is this: as long as you know the difference between reality and your imagination, then you're not crazy. It's when you start seeing things and you're not sure if they're real or not, that's when it's time to give your therapist a call (or your exorcist, depending).

5. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

No, I'm sure I've talked to myself before, and sometimes I ask questions in my head and get responses in different voices. I've heard people actually say my name before, and just experienced other weird stuff. I swear I heard someone talking all night last night, but there was no one there. There's nothing wrong with having imaginary friends, that sounds better than getting to know most people. :tongue: I don't think you're crazy, because if you were, you probably wouldn't know that you were crazy.

6. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I've heard of an interesting theory that said that some people with mental illness are actually more intune with the spiritual world, because they have the ability to 'hear' noises and voices that the average person cannot. Keep in mind that it is just a theory and it could very well be false, but still, I kind of wish that I had the ability to hear things from other dimensions.

7. greyroses

greyroses Well-Known Member

I dont know what the definition for crazy is, in this case, and its most likely I wouldnt agree with it anyway, so I cant give a direct yes or no answer. I would like to say though, during college, for a short period of time, I think I created an...imaginary something. I am not sure "friend"would be the correct terminology. Anyway, I very much grew to like it. And as I talked about it with others, I began to lose it. And I still often try to bring it back. I have some success, mostly just before I fall asleep. I can have conversations from time to time, though I can no longer track it in a room, but I think someday I will get back to that point.
    I never made it into a "bad" thing in my mind, and I have had no reason to. At the very least, it's a different perspective, an amusement, and a confidant. Without, especially during that time, I think I would have lost a little bit to much of something I couldnt afford to and it prevented it.
    With your own case, I would just say to establish rules to protect from anything negative developing. At what point would you determine it has a negative influence? What behaviors on its part or your own are not acceptable? And be sure to really listen to people around you, in terms of any changes they see in you that are causing them major concern. Otherwise, do what you do :hamtaro:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.