Am I depressive and should go see a psychiatrist or something ?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Oblivion Seeker, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oblivion Seeker

Oblivion Seeker Active Member

Hey,

Since some time now, I've been asking myself these two questions : am I really depressive ? and should I go see someone ?

To the first, I think I've got my answer... I get really low at odd times when I feel I should be happy, am continually thinking about how I could kill myself, and just can't seem to get over it...

Of course there are some moment when I'm happier, and try to motivate myself into not falling back into a depressed state, but each time, whatever I do, it just comes back... I tried to like "stop thinking" whenever this happened, but it is not really working, I can't manage it...

So do you think seeing a psychiatrist would help ? I went as far as asking my mom if she could set up an appointment with our doctor to ask him for some names, but then backtracked the next day... I really don't know, one moment I feel I should, the next, I don't want to anymore...

Well thanks for reading the post, and please give me some advice ! I'm feeling quite lost ...

2. Blackness

Blackness Guest

Yes I think you should
    anyone who wants to kill themselves should

3. Beret

Beret Staff Alumni

Please seek some help from a psychiatrist, psychologist or any kind of counselor. Anyone who has thoughts about suicide should be helped.
    Good luck
    :hug:
    Beret

4. Oblivion Seeker

I just don't see how he'll help...talking about it is not helping, even though I'm trying... just feeling worse everyday...what will he do ?

5. Beret

Beret Staff Alumni

Perhaps you would need some meds to help you to improve your thouhts; but be aware that only the psychiatrist can prescribe them and perhaps there is no need for you to see any other kind of therapist before so they send you to see a shrink.
    Good luck hun

6. Oblivion Seeker

Ok... I guess I'll see... I'll go see my general doctor during the we, see what he says...

7. Oblivion Seeker

FYI went to see my general doc... He gave me the number of a psychiatrist so that I can go see him...He told me maybe we'd consider meds later on, first better to go see the guy, which I think I quite agree...

8. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that you're seeking help!

9. ace

ace Well-Known Member

OS I'm really happy you've made the huge effort to go and see someone,I know what it's like when you feel that who's going to help you.But you can only give it a try,you may be depressed but anything that could possibly be done to try and beat this is worth it my dear friend.

10. Oblivion Seeker

I hope it will help, I really am getting fed up of being depressed and down all the time... *sigh*

11. SoulRiser

SoulRiser Well-Known Member

Like what? I mean, why do you feel you should be happy at those times? What times are those? ... Different things make different people happy, so what works for one might not work for another... that's my only real point in asking this :p

12. Oblivion Seeker

Like I'm hanging out with friends or watching tv or doing something I genuinely like doing, and suddenly I start thinking about how I wish I were dead and stuff like that... just wish I could go away... even in moments when I should be happy.
    For example, this last week has been quite good, school pressure wasn't that much so I had the time to enjoy myself for once, but even during this week I have constantly been thinking of death and other depressive thoughts... And now that the week is ending, I feel that this almost "happy" phase is starting to melt away... I just hope I'll be able to overcome it, though I don't really expect it to...

Btw I went to see a psychiatrist, had two half an hour sessions with him, didn't amount to much until now except him asking me questions, but I guess it'll take some time...

13. SoulRiser

SoulRiser Well-Known Member

Hmm, yeah that is a bit concerning. Psychiatrist or psychologist? Psychiatrists are the ones that tend to prescribe drugs, psychologists are the ones that tend to listen/talk more... I keep getting confused by that, but I'd prefer psychologists if I had a choice in the matter. I'm not saying you shouldn't see the psychiatrist though. Maybe he really can help, might just take some time as you said.

In a perfect world, if there was nothing that could stop you, what would you want your life to be like? I mean, the world's pretty screwed up, that's a fact, but even though people try to pressure each other into doing specific things, it doesn't mean those things are really necessary or even good at all. What do you really want? Nevermind if you think it's realistic or not. Just ask yourself that, and then take your response seriously, because nobody can answer it for you.

14. Oblivion Seeker

Psychiatrist, but he said that he would only prescribe meds as a last resort, in a few weeks if he can't help me without...

In a perfect world... I'd want to have a life leading to something which is worth it : as I see it, I'm only working my head off trying to go through school to go to uni and then what ? Get a job hopefully... great... does not seem so attractive when I come to think of it... what's the point in living if it's always doing things you don't like ? That's the question which is seriously bugging me these days, I just don't see the point... My life is pretty "flat", no major problems, many would probably say that it's as good a life as you could get in this world, and that's the thing... if it's a good life, and I'm not happy, then it won't get much better, but rather worse... so what's the point ?

I know it's a bit jumbled, but I wrote it as it came to me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.