Am I harming myself?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Rukia, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rukia

Rukia Well-Known Member

I've never cut myself, I'm to afraid of the pain.
    But I used to strangle myself, either with my hands or a belt, when I lost control over my feelings. I've always been glad that I haven't able to cut, but maybe the strangling is just as bad. The marks disappear relatively fast, so no one notice.
    It used to be an obsession, but I had to stop when my suicidal thoughts came to often.
    I hadn't tried to strangle myself in over a year, but since the suicidal thoughts took over my life last week, the obsession came back.

Anyone have any advice of how to get it away?
  2. goliath

goliath Active Member

What's up hun ? Why are you doin' it? You have to dig deep and face the problem directly. Only then the need of hurting yourself will disappear. I know you're lost and unhappy but you can share it with us here on this forum.

I'm here for you if you wanna talk.

Take care and stay strong. :hug:
  3. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

I would say this is a form of self harm, anything inflicted to cause pain my ourselfs in self harm.

There a few ways to control this, distraction methods would be the best, find something you love to take your mind of it. Thinking about something that makes you happy could make you feel better.

The counseller i talked to suggested to me, wearing an elastic band around my wrist, and once i start to feel im going down and feeling the need to cut, and should pull the elastic band so i snaps against my wrist, thats 'pain' is then a signal for me to do something about it before i get to the point where im self harming and not able to control myself. The whole idea od the elastic band is to send a message to you that you need to do something to take my mind of it.
  4. Rukia

Rukia Well-Known Member

I have no idea why. It just happens. Even if I'm not really unhappy. Ofc, it happens alot more when I'm depressed. I got it sort of under control now, but I'm afraid it will go back to the way it used to be.

I tried the elastic band back then, it didn't help me much. Maybe this time it will be different.
  5. consciousinsane

consciousinsane Well-Known Member

I've recently found that if I can catch myself before I get to depressed, if I can engage my mind deeply in something then I get so distracted that after 20 minutes or so, I'm a little better. What can do this? I'm trying out those Sudoku puzzles. Man are they hard!!
  6. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

That is definatly a form of self harm, just because it doesn't leave much marks or bleed doesn't mean it isn't self harm, it's another self-destructive coping mechinism. I would try and find other ways of coping, like venting come here and vent in "let it all out" that's what that section is for, noone will mind I even use it. It should make you feel better, try and vent and destract yourself with something less negative.

If you would ever want to talk....feel free to PM me or message me on yahoo or msn, the ID's are on my signature bellow. Try and hang in there, life isn't as hopless as feel it can get better you just have to work at it.

Stay safe and we are here if you need us. :hug: :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.