Am I in crisis

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by SillyOldBear, Dec 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Not really sure if I am in crisis. If thinking about ending it all every day is a crisis, then I am. But I am able to combat it. I get up and do something. Anything.

Why am I here? I got laid off again. I am 61. Have minimal clerical skills. Minimal money. Unemployment is about to run out. Have had interviews, but no one wants to hire an old goat. Guess what? I get to go on Medicaid next year! Be a sponge on the rest of the taxpayers. I hate it! Social Security would be insignificant. I heat my house to a balmy 52 degrees to save money. Don't go much of anywhere. And I expect it to get worse. Plenty of food at the moment though.

Friends don't seem to get it. They don't understand how tough the job market is.

I also blame myself all the time. I should have saved more money. Should have gotten married. Should have gotten a better education and better job. I tell myself its my fault I'm in this situation. Can't seem to find anything in the future to look forward to.

That's it. Will keep post short. Long ones can get so hard to read.

2. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

Sorry you're having such a tough time. Recession doesn't help either. Many people are suffering right now. I know relying on the government sucks especially when you've been working all these years and Social Security pays so little. I'm disabled and am under poverty level. Somehow I manage to live like this. Don't have much to say to you, but I know your burden. Hope you will find a way to boost your income again, but don't blame yourself for the "should have" because you never expected this to happen and it's not your fault. Take care!

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Do no tbe hard on yourself for past decisions - does no good. And do not be concerned with medicare or other taxpayers - you have "done your time" if every penny you had paid in to social security over the last 42 years had been put in an interest bearing account or mutual fund instead of wasted by the government (total of you and your employers is contributions is 15% of everything you ever earned) then you would have several hundred thousand in the bank to live on now ... It is not your fault your government took it and did nothing with it instead so get whatever you can back from it and know you are still getting the short end of that stick.

Have you looked into HEAP to help with utilities and heating? If you would like to message me I could likely point you in the direction a a number of programs to make life more comfortable for you so you can have less stress and just maybe find time to enjoy a spare moment now and then....

4. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Mpang. Thank you for your response. So sorry to hear you are functioning at the poverty level. While your success with survival does inspire, I don't think anyone in this country should live in poverty. There are far too many riches here. I wish I could stop blaming myself. Have never succeeded in doing that. Even though it does no good.

NYJumpMaster. So very glad to know that I am not the only one here who has little respect for our government. They are entirely too busy killing people. They need to spend time helping them. But then they are not the only ones in this country with warped priorities. Look at what we pay our CEOS, and sports and film celebrities. Rather disgusting really.

I have not heard of HEAP. Would love to hear more about it and other options. It is sad. I have always been able to tend to myself. I have not applied for Social Security. Just found out what I would receive. Have a bit of unemployment coming and am still applying for jobs. Problem with Social Security is that if I found a part time job, it would push me off Medicaid into some of the Obamacare options. They are not cheap and they are not very good. And if you start Social Security and cancel it...you have to repay EVERYTHING. Circumstances may, however, soon force me to apply. But just applied for another job. Someone has to want me.

Don't know how to message you, but will check on it, or you can tell me in a reply.

5. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Just click on my user name and select private message. If you could share in your message what state you are in then it would be a big head start to collecting resources for you to look into.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.