Am I normal?

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by rubysoho, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rubysoho

rubysoho New Member

Hello everyone! I joined this forum almost 2 weeks ago, but took a while to post a thread.

Sometimes I get into phases of obsessive suicide ideation, but I honestly don't think I would ever go through with suicide. Is this normal? Do I need to go see a therapist?
  2. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I would see your doctor and let them know how you are feeling. They would be able to refer you to the most appropriate place. A lot more people than you would think suffer from depression and I imagine that just about every person capable of intelligent thought has questioned their existence and have had thoughts of suicide at some point in their life. Get the help you need, you deserve it.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am not in a place to say what's normal and what's not normal. But suicidal ideation is very serious and needs to be treated by a psychiatrist , therapist and your doctor. Please keep yourself safe and keep us updated.
  4. Moat

Moat Banned Member

I have to concur with both Petal and Cicada3301; I am not iny place to say if that is normal to feel like that, ubut as the others havye said, you will find out a lot by booking an appointment with a psychologist, so you can get diagniosed professionally and, if the psychiatrist think it is best that are put on medication, then you know that you have some realistic basis for what you are thinking and feeling.

Truthfully though, as you said you do not think you will evyer go through with it (this is just my own observations based on what you have said) then if you are prescribed any medications, they should be harsh ones or medications that are ini excessive amounts (30+ milligrams per tablet), but more a much lower dose or maybe 5 milligrams or 2 1/2, since, from what you said in your thread,, it is not somethng that rules your emotions and mind every day.

Sorry if this does not help you, I do hope you reach that happy medium where you are able to et outside and not let these kinds of things control you
  5. rubysoho

rubysoho New Member

Everyone, thanks for your replies. I really appreciate it! To be honest, I have been avoiding going to the psychiatrist because I thought I would be wasting the doctor's time with what I thought were trivial feelings. Also, I feel as though there is some social stigma for having mental health issues, so I could not consult anyone close to me IRL other than my husband. He also suggested that I should see a psychiatrist.

I don't know what is wrong with me. Of course I'm not an expert, but I don't think I have depression. Sure, sometimes I feel blue, but it has never kept me from performing my daily activities.
  6. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Doctors are trained for this type of thing and do everything that is in their power to help you, so you definitely would not be wasting their time. It is their job to ensure that you are on the straifght and narrow towards healthy and they would bend over backwards to to do all they can to help, so if nothing else, I think it is wise of you to book an appointment with your G.P as soon as you can so you can talk to her/him about what is going on; she/he might be able to prescribe the appropriate medication which could help you manage in your day to day life and even if being on medicine, it is far better than not being on any and feeling this way every waking moment.

I wish you the best of luck and so, too, does Bubbles. :)
    2 people like this.
  7. rubysoho

rubysoho New Member

Thanks, Moat (and Bubbles).

I've wondered why doctors would prescribe medication to people who have suicidal ideation. Aren't they afraid that the patient will try to overdose?
  8. tandavid

tandavid Member

Lol. You are obviously more intelligent than they are and I am in thinking the way you do. I was prescribed antidepressants , and only after taking an overdose (intended to end my life) did I find out that it is actually pretty hard to kill yourself on these drugs- you are far more likely to end up in ICU with more long term health and emotional issues than you had in the 1st place...

Doctors should probably tell patients that though....

Anyway, I'm sorry you have moments of feeling that way. I share your pain. :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.