Am I over reacting?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by xxscreamxx, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxscreamxx

xxscreamxx Member

There's not much in my life right now that's bad, and the small things that are seem silly if I try to tell someone about it. I also am over emotional sometimes, but I try to keep it to myself. I have OCD, and suicidal thoughts that seem to be related to OCD. However I don't quite consider myself suicidal, because I don't want to die, but for example I'll see a tall building, and obsess over how I could jump off (is this going too far against the forum rules?). Am I over reacting about these little things? For example, I was writing a story for a school project, and two people, who i thought were friends, started bashing my idea for my story. And I just felt worthless, and ended up changing the story.

I'm sorry if this seems whiny or anything, I'm just not quite sure how to say what I want to say.

2. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Yes, you are overreacting.

However don't blame yourself.

OCD makes the tiniest things horrible, I know that first hand.

Are you in treatment for this?

3. xxscreamxx

xxscreamxx Member

i take meds for ocd
    and did therapy for a while when i self harmed but that was a few years ago

4. abrandnewday

abrandnewday Guest

Sounds like you don't quite have the OCD under control. Maybe it is time to up your meds or try a different one. Do you have a Dr or counselor you can talk to about strategies for dealing with the thoughts or changing your meds?

5. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

It could also be that those 2 people may be the only 2 people in the world who felt that way. Maybe you could get other opinions. Don't let them influence you, maybe you could write the next twilight. Who knows.

And when you have suicidal feelings, it's completely normal to fantasize about scenarios involving your death, I used to do it all the time. Hopefully it'll pass soon. Try to distract your thoughts.

6. d-pressed

d-pressed Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I'm sorry you're struggling with your OCD, but as for those two people you should tell them to p*** off, or at least ignore them. They simply aren't worth it.

I suppose the treatment for OCD besides medication involves breaking patterns - do you keep a diary? I think that might help. Say, with the building, you would write 'I saw a building, started obsessively thinking about jumping off it' and perhaps your resulting worry was 'that I might be suicidal without my knowing it."' or something. Next you think about the probability of that actually being the case - which is 'low,' as you don't feel suicidal. Then think about what you'll do to break the behaviour next time- so in this case, 'not get so worried!!'

--there are probably better examples than this, but do you get the idea? The point is that the more you break patterns/rituals, you will start to get over this. Baby steps, and don't get disheartened.

Take care

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.