Am I overreacting? Please help!

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by anonymousihs, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anonymousihs

anonymousihs Active Member

I was sexually abused nearly a year ago but it wasn't that bad. My dad has been emotionally and verbally abusing me ever since I can remember, but I've dealt with it fine. I was also bullied, and that completely crushed me. I don't know why it was this that bothered me the most. When I write it like this it seems really bad but I don't know i I is. There's times when I'm going completely crazy thinking I'm going to cut myself and I'm all fidgety. But the next night I'm all calm (scared, but fine). I'm not sure if I'm overreacting. It sounds stupid when I ask it but I still can't stop thinking that maybe I'm exaggerating everything and that there's so many other people who dealt with way worse stuff. I feel awful that I need to complain about my problems. But then every night I'm in bed I feel scared of I don't know what. And then I can't breathe and sometimes I cry. I don't know what's going on with me. Is this not that big of a deal? I'd ask someone but I don't want them to think I'm just looking for attention. I don't wanna be all sad and pathetic. Sometimes I think I'm just thinking everything for attention but if I'm not telling anyone I know, is it still just for attention?
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

It is not over reacting and it is not just for attention. It is saying that you need help and need somebody to listen to you, which we are happy to do here. I do not know how old and if you are still in school and the answers to thode questions would be helpful to give ideas for other supports you may find useful.

Please use the forums to get some confidence and understanding that you are not alone is this situation and that others have had to deal with it. You may get ideas from there as to how to deal with your personal issues as well. In the mean time, post, ask questions, or just rant - as you feel is most beneficial to you. We are listening.

Take Care and Be Safe

3. truthhurts

truthhurts Well-Known Member

i don't think this has anything to do with 'seeking attention', 'just SIers' get that a lot too, even though the vast majority of them hide their self-harm extremely cautiously. and i myself have never been sexually abused in any way, so i can't really tell u this from experience, but i think this is a serious thing that happened to you, and by what i've seen from a friend that went through something like this, it was very hard for him, and still to this day, even though the offender is now dead [and was in jail before that], he's still dealing with anxiety/fear that this has caused. and even though he's now actually a body-builder [meaning he's physically pretty strong], his mind is still messed up to a degree. so, the point being, i think it's normal that u're experiencing a lot of unwanted emotions because of this, and though sadly seeking for help can get u negative feedback [occasionally], i think u shud still consider therapy. i don't think u're overreacting.

hope the best for u^^,
  4. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I wish I could just reach out to you and help. you are not seeking attention. This is very real for sure. Very very real. I understand why you would think that the bullying hurt the most. when people are already so injured, emotionally abusive words from people outside the family can feel literally crushing. Truth is, all the abuse you have experienced is crushing. All of it :hug: and I am sorry it all happened to you.

It is important to find a way to know that you are not seeking attention. Abusers find ways to make sure the people they abuse ( be it physically, verbally or sexually) do not reach out for help. Perhaps thats part of why you feel like you may be seeking attention if you reach out. But I promise you that it is good and important to reach out for help. It is very good that you are posting here.

I also want to talk about what you said re there being people who have dealt with way worse stuff. Yes,no matter what anyone has expereinced re abuse there will be people who have had it worse. But that is not the point. I know people who were horrifficly abused. And I do mean horrifficly. But that does not in any way diminsh the abuse I suffered. See what I mean jelly bean? Same is true for you. The abuse you suffered is very real. And horrible. And I am so sorry you expereinced it. and I promiseyou that it is a big deal. And I know. I am 61 years old. So I have lots of years of expereince :D I promise you that no matter what you think, it is a big deal. That may take years of healing to understand. Just try to trust what I am saying.

Finally, you say " But then every night I'm in bed I feel scared of I don't know what". Yes, that can be a very scary and awful thing to feel that. So scary. when I used to feel that, I felt young. And that made it even more scary to me. I am sorry you are feeling that.

Can you be in therapy? Cuz you sure do deserve that. Someday these abusers will not have power over you. But that will take work. You deserve therapy. You deserve counselling. You deserve to know that your feelings are real. Do you know of a way you can find a therapist? You can pm me if you would like :hug: :flowers:
  5. anonymousihs

anonymousihs Active Member

I'm 23 and I go to graduate school. Thanks a lot for replying.
  6. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

no, you are not looking for attention or overreacting. And you can't downplay your pain by comparing it with others because we all have different threshholds.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.