Am i overreacting?

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by Day_of_Death, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Day_of_Death

Day_of_Death Member

When i was 14 my Grandad tried to molest me but i stopped him before he could go any further up my leg and then my nan walked in the room and he acted like nothing happened. He has manic depression, it happened at the hospital in the mental ward, he wasn't in his right mind. A year later i write an English essay about this called 'The worst day of my life', the school reported it and Social Services got invloved, came round my house and my parents read the essay, my mum cried and my dad was emotionless and didn't seem to care one bit, my mum told my family and no one has spoken to me about it since. I feel like they don't care, they act like nothing happened. Am i over reacting?
  2. Punk

Punk Well-Known Member

No regardless of the circumstances. The 'he was very ill' doesn't wash. You do need to start drawing a line under it though.
  3. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I don't think you are over-reacting at all. I just think that in many similar situations the other family members go into a state of denial. I'm glad to hear that it didn't go any further because your "nan" came in.

Perhaps you can approach your mother in the near future and ask her why she did not react more forcefully on your behalf. I am not an expert by any means and don't know the exact answer for your's just a suggestion.

Please take care and continue to post here. Perhaps others that have suffered the same will have better input than I.
  4. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

The important thing is that you stopped him before he could go any further. Maybe he wasn't in his right frame of mind or maybe he was? Who knows?
  5. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I don't think you're overreacting. Not in the slightest.
  6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

i think as a child it is very upsetting when someone they love pulls something like this on them You were very frightened and thank god you nan came in
    He knew what he was doing and he knew it was wrong. Your parents well they don't want to think that somehting like this could happen they shut down too.
    The fear you had was real and the sadness maybe over it so no you were not over reacting and i hope you and your parents one day can talk quietly about it so you do not have the guilt feelings as they belong to your grandfather
  7. 41021

41021 Banned Member

Did it scare you?
    Did it hurt inside your heart?
    Did it confuse you?
    Was your trust betrayed?
    Did you feel anything else inside your head/heart?

Then no, you are not overreacting.

8. Day_of_Death

Day_of_Death Member

Yeah it scared the hell outta me.
    It hurt me a lot inside.
    It confused me a lot.
    Yeah because i loved him so much.
  9. Day_of_Death

Day_of_Death Member

He was in his right state of mind, he was really ill and still is, i'm 16 and he is still in hospital, i don't know wether to love him still or hate him.
  10. 41021

41021 Banned Member

Then you are in no way overreacting.

could even suffer a bit of ptsd from it

I'm sorry this happened to you.
  11. Day_of_Death

Day_of_Death Member

If he pulled his hand away when my Nan came in the room does this mean he knew what he was doing? :/
  12. Day_of_Death

Day_of_Death Member

It's okay, thanks for replying, it means a lot people care :)
  13. Punk

Punk Well-Known Member

Very likely.
  14. Day_of_Death

Day_of_Death Member

What do i do about it?
    I have an appointment with a physcologist this Wednesday but i have work aswell do i cancel work to go to it and talk it out or do i not go and go to work? :/
  15. Punk

Punk Well-Known Member

You say to your employer that you have a medical appointment for Weds and you go to it and you tell them the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. If you have time to go to work afterwards go if you feel like it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.