am i self harming?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by UsedToBe, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UsedToBe

UsedToBe Well-Known Member

I know it may sound like a stupid question, but I really need to know...
    I bite my lips until they bleed heavily and when under pressure I either bang my head against the wall or punch myself in the head till it really hurts...
    I'm not after any diagnosis, but just now I feel a bit uneasy, I never thought it was actually something that I should report to my counsellor when talking about self harm. I would always answer NO to that question and now I see that I actually might be self harming..:(

Sorry once again for this stupid naive question, but should I seek help with this too?

2. AlopexAngel

AlopexAngel Chat Buddy

If it hurts and you're doing it because it hurts, then yes it is SH. Biting lips and banging head is fairly common form too.

3. BornFree

BornFree Well-Known Member

Juniper... hugs to you!!

I too bite my lips and have done since my earliest memory's of being 4yrs old and clearly remember my sister and Mum telling me off for biting my lips and mouth to the point where I struggled to eat!

I guess we all have different ways in which our inner stress and turmoil finds its way to the surface. Officially I don't know... but as Angeliris said if it hurts and you keep doing it then it must be, I'd never thought of my lip biting as self harm so Thank you for this thread.

Take care xx

4. UsedToBe

thank you all. I bite my lips since primary school, I wait till they heal and then bite again, never thought about it as a self harm, but yes it hurts. I do it less now, but I still bang my head against the wall, sometimes so hard it it hurts for a quite a long time after that. I also scratch my head till it bleeds.

I didn't know I was so messed up :((

5. UsedToBe

...thing is, I never told anyone about it as I thought it was not a problem. Feeling confused now, do you reckon it would be good to mention it to my counsellor? I don't feel like coming out to my GP as I am scared he will refer me to crisis team and I can't get my name on the system.

6. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

If you want or think you need help for it then i would suggest that yes you should discuss it with your counsellor, if not then i suggest you just keep an eye on it and try and seek help before it becomes a real issue.
    As far as your doctor goes the crisis teams are usually used for a short term crisis's and are used for an alternative to hospital. What sounds to be mild a self harm and little threat to life. You should feel safe in telling your doctor, she my be able to offer some other support if needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.