Am I Selfish?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by SweeTCoRn09, Dec 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweeTCoRn09

SweeTCoRn09 Member

Am i selfish person for thinking of commiting suicide and for not appreciating the things around me??
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

No, that does not make you selfish. It is impossible to appreciate everything we should when the full weight of depression is on us. That does no tmake us selfish or bad, it makes us in need a tiny bit of help from somebody or someplace to remind us why we even should appreciate the things around us. It is something everybody from Bill Gates to the poorest peasant in the most godforsaken corner of the earth needs sometimes- a reason to feel thankful or appreciative and some days that reason is very hard to come by and even if the reasons are clear and everywhere around us it does not mean we can see or feel them. To feel thankful we must first feel like we deserve something - I believe you deserve to feel better and I hope something happens for you to feel like you deserve better too. When you feel like you deserve better and more then you will be able to start to appreciate the little things you have whatever they may be.
  3. Amthorn

Amthorn Member

Maybe so, but people in general are selfish. Everything is about consumption and gratification, self fulfillment, self esteem, self improvement, self awareness, blah blah blah. I don't think suicide is more or less selfish that anything else. I am tired of feeling like life has some innate value just because people say so.
  4. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

you are right.... ppl at their core are selfish and greedy and very self-absorbed. i think the purpose of life is to show us how to appreciate things outside of ourselves... but until we are willing to get out of the selfish, greedy, self-absorbed sides of us, we cannot do that. as i told you in another thread of yours, i believe that people make an impact on others everytime someone looks at, talks to, or interacts with them... and this impact causes a slight change which changes the impacts they make on others. in this way, i think life has value.... this world needs a lot of changing, as long as you are alive, you contribute to that change... you have worth.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2013
  5. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

i think it is both selfish and unselfish. selfish in that you are putting your current pain above the pain others will feel upon your passing, and therefore putting self above others which is in fact the definition of selfishness. unselfish because even though that is true, nobody can truly understand the pain you are feeling and the things you have or have not tried in order to get away from those feelings before deciding to end your life and therefore cannot truly judge you as ultimately only you know what is right for you. however, having said that... suicide is sad both for the individual and the individual's family as well as for the world in general. so long as you keep living, you have a chance to experience those moments that are so good they take your breath away (as my signature speaks of), you have a chance to make impacts that will change the world, and you have a chance to help others with their situations if you want or to achieve whatever other goals you may want... the instant you stop living, all that is lost. your family and those that care about you lose a part of their heart at that time. you lose the chance to tell them anything that was left unsaid or to accomplish promises you left unfulfilled... suicide results in pain. the only reason suicide looks good is because of depression or mental illness in general... but the results are different from the concept.
  6. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

No, I don't think that makes you selfish. It's just hard to see what's good in life when you're so depressed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.