Am I starting to develop an eating disorder?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Paigeee, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paigeee

Paigeee Member

Recently, i've stopped eating as much, i'm down to around one meal a day and that's when my parents cook for me in the evenings. I just don't feel hungry anymore and i've lost quite a bit of weight. My parents keep asking if i'm going to be an annorexic and their really worried, but now the thought of it makes me want to do it, to harm myself. I wish I didn't feel this way though, because it hurts a lot. Do any of you also think that i'm developing an eating disorder?

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

We can't say whether or not we think you are developing an eating disorder because there are criteria and we are not professionals, let alone medical professionals. It would be ignorant for us to say that.

However, what I do feel able to say is that your eating habits are clearly not very healthy, and thats something you can work on.

Why do you want to harm yourself?

If you can, ideally it would be good to talk to someone about this and tell them the truth to enable them to try and help you.

3. toprngr

toprngr Member

From what I am seeing here is that you are not developing any kind of eating disorder, since you have been eating one meal a day, your body had been adapting to the situation. I believe that you should be getting enough nutrients even though you are only eating a meal a day. You can try having juice to replace meals, and keep the one and only meal in the list, that could help making your parents less worried.

4. grey.eyes

grey.eyes New Member

It sounds like you are willing to talk to a professional by your openness on this page. I'd recommend that. I have suffered with anorexia and bulimia for 5 years and getting help was the best thing I ever did and I wish I'd done it sooner. There are lots of consequences to rapid severe weightloss. I am not diagnosing you and saying you have one but its better to be safe than sorry.
    Good luck. :)

5. Stray

Stray Account Closed

If you reduce your food intake your stomach shrinks a bit and you lose interest in food, thats all it is, it's not an eating disorder. You just have to remind yourself to eat and slowly increase the amount you eat again to get back to normal.

6. Things

Things Well-Known Member

I'm in no position to say if you have an eating disorder. From what I do know, it just sounds like you don't have much of an appetite. If you're worried about your appetite, there are ways to increase it.

I think the best thing to do is listen to the other poster's advice.

7. coolspot

coolspot Member

I only one real meal a day, Sometimes i will eat more but this is if i am eating out with friends. I have found myself too impatient to wait for food to cook so i rearly cook anything unless the wife is eating too.

In my not professional opinion i don't see anything wrong as you have noticed whats happening but if you still see a drop in your weight then you should see a professional and at least talk through with the whats happening.

The good thing is that you are not hiding your eating and asking about it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.