Am I the only male teenager who cuts? (might be triggering)

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by EmptyTim, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmptyTim

EmptyTim New Member

Okay, this is my first visit, so I might as well introduce myself.

My name's Tim, I'm almost 18 years old, and I just graduated high school.

I've had recurring suicidal thoughts since the 4th grade, but have never seriously acted on them, unless you count cutting.

The first time I cut myself was about a year ago. I've cut myself 4 times, the first two were related to a girl that I really liked, and the last two were related to a different girl that I started liking long after I had gotten over the first.

But I just wanted to ask, is it common for MALE teenagers in particular to cut? Or am I just a loser for doing something that mostly girls do to deal with their psychological pain?
  2. MadeOfGlass

MadeOfGlass Well-Known Member

First of all, hiya Tim and :welcome: to the forum. Now, I cut as well, and have been trying to stop, but I'm a teenage girl, so that MIGHT not be what you're looking for. But on the other hand, I've met guys who do SI, so thats probably more what you want to hear.

I'm Sarah, btw :shake: Shoot me a pm if you need someone to talk to. :hug:
  3. justmeonlyme

justmeonlyme Long Time SFer Staff Alumni

i like sarah am not male but i too self harm!
    but i do no of quite a few males who self harm!!! you are deffently not alome!!
    im emma btw if you even want someone to talk to you can pm me or whatever
  4. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Hey, welcome to SF. Now I'm not a teenager anymore but when I was I did self-harm. And Yes I'm a male. In recent years I have cut back on it a lot.
  5. Brandon

Brandon Well-Known Member

Hey tim, im 20 now, but i've been cutting pretty regularly for about two years now. If you've only cut 4 times, thats a good sign, its probably time that you stop before it gets worse. Trust me, you don't want to end up like me.
  6. EmptyTim

EmptyTim New Member

Hey, thanks for the feedback everyone.

The last time I cut, I told myself it would be the last time, but lately I've been feeling the urge to do it again...I'm trying to stay strong though.
  7. kitanai

kitanai Well-Known Member

i cut when i was a teen im 31 and still cutting hey lol at least i dont give up everything just...just about everything and im male
  8. Drekono

Drekono Well-Known Member

Hey tim, im a male and ive been cutting for awhile. It started getting real bad when i was 14, im 20 now. Trust me alot of males deal with self harm. The more you do it the worse it gets so don't let it become a festering, painful secret that just adds more difficulty to your life. Talk to people about it. Get advice and help from those who can relate or who care. I wish the best for ya, send a pm if you want someone to talk to.
  9. Nox Immortalis

Nox Immortalis Well-Known Member

guys self harm too, girls just get found out more often, or end up talking about it whereas guys that SH remain secret usually.
  10. jaydee

jaydee Member

I'm almost 21 now and I've been cutting since I was about fourteen or fifteen. I'm male. I heard somewhere that females are more likely to self harm but that it's also quite common for males. The first time I caused a massive injury to myself like that was over a girl, but it isn't always.
    If you possibly can, try and stop now. I have a ridiculous number of scars, spread out all over my body, and the 'i grew up on a pretty rough farm' excuse only works for so long.
  11. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

My ex cut once. The rest of the time when he was really upset and would self-harm, he would punch holes in the wall...or burn his hands <at his parent's place when he was a teenager anyways; when we moved out, he didn't attempt self harm a single time.

A couple of my male friends were cutters in highschool.
    I think only one still is- as an 'adult'.
  12. jaydee

jaydee Member

That's one thing I've never done, punching walls. My parents were very very violent so I guess I've always avoided that kind of violence. I know a guy though who breaks his hand every now and then from punching walls when he's down.
  13. dnE ehT

dnE ehT Well-Known Member

No, you're not alone.

I sometimes do this.

A few days ago I went back to my old ways. Hiding these cuts is becoming quite difficult.
  14. aviewfromchaos

aviewfromchaos Well-Known Member

not at all, bro. i do it a lot. i'm not on here much anymore, but if you want to talk sometime, feel free to PM me. =]
  15. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Nah, I'm here :p. I know of a couple of guys at school that self harm. At times quite open about it. Then again I'm more of a friend to them then a random person XD.
  16. ofvanityandwax

ofvanityandwax Active Member

It's more common in teenage girls, but I've known quite a few guys who've cut as well. I've been cutting for about four years but not seriously until the last two.
    If you ever need a helping hand, you can always PM me.
  17. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

You certainly aren't the only one to feel the urges to cut
  18. Paranoy

Paranoy Member

I made cuts on my arms about a year ago for the first time. I usually only do it during times of intense stress from other areas of my life.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.