Am I the only one sad for no reason?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by WillST, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillST

WillST Active Member

I don't get it.

I read a lot of threads on here and everyone seems to have very good reasons for being suicidal or depressed. They were abused as children, trouble with parents or family they have no friends, they are bullied at school or doing poorly at school, they were raped, their spouses mistreats them, relationship trouble, divorce, lost their job or just know someone that committed suicide - many many 'reasons', everyone seems to have some hurtful history.

But I don't have any reasons. I have a supportive family that has given me everything and never done wrong by me, I have friends, I graduated from University and I am on my way to post-graduate studies. No family history of suicide or depression whatsoever. I haven't experienced any of the 'normal' trouble that most SF members have.

Yet I feel empty all the time like something is missing. I feel hopeless and sad and depressed almost every day. And then I feel guilty because I shouldn't feel this way and a lot of people have it much worse than I do. I don't understand what is wrong with me and I think that is what scares me the most :sad: Sometimes I think I making this all up, that I am doing it to myself and there is nothing wrong with me - after all why should there be?

I can't stand feeling this way, it is killing me.

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Besides the familial aspects of depression, depression can be biochemical, physical, etc...have you discussed your feelings with a MD who can check for the other causes of depression (e.g. hypothyroidism)??? if there is little else contributing to your feelings, this is a worthy place to start...big hugs, J

3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

There is always a reason why you feel a certain way. Your reason just might be harder to pinpoint. There is no reason to feel guilty for those who seem to have it "worse off." External situations in no way let you know someone's internal intepretation. Someone with a seemingly horrid childhood could be feeling much better than you right now. Who knows? It's subjective, and it's not for anyone to judge, it's just the way things are.

As for as making it all up, most people here have a "mental illness." An illness that is only in the mind. Therefore you could probably say we are all making it up. But it doesn't mean it isn't very real to you and needs to be understood and worked through.

In truth there is nothing wrong with any of us here but what we believe there is.

I would suggest talking to a therapist. It sounds like something that will be hard to get to the bottom of on your own, and it sounds like you're ready to figure it out. Getting past the guilt might be tough. I hear how hard it is for you. I hope you find a plan or some way to work through this. You deserve it!

much love
    :heart: :hug:

4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

depression can hit any of us, with or without external factors. it doesn't discriminate. getting treatment is a good start. you *can* fight these feelings. my doc keeps repeating to me that feeling suicidal is a symptom of my illness, not something i should be acting on. after months of her telling me this i am starting to see her point! i hope you will reach out for some help

5. tendenCs_89

tendenCs_89 Well-Known Member

i had no idea why i was depressed until i saw my therapist and i managed to unearth past experiences in my life which i had subconciously blocked out which was causing this.
    i would talk to a therapist or counsellor, im sure it would help
    :hug:

6. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Therapy helps you understand why you're feeling a certain way, and then it helps you understand that you aren't responsible for how you feel--just which emotions you act on.

The important thing isn't your background or history, but rather why you think you aren't important enough to be happy.

7. tendenCs_89

tendenCs_89 Well-Known Member

interesting point jameslyon, but i think if you can find the thing in youre background and history that started these feelings in the first place, youre a step closer to feeling better, so i dont think background and history are irrelevent
    and its not always as simple as feeling depressed because you dont value yourself or think youre unimportant, but im sure in many cases youre right.

8. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Therapy does help.

But...
    If you are not responsible for how you feel, who is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.