am i the only one

i just dont know. My PTSD from the assault is really bothering me lately. Things are so real like it just happened yesterday. The memories are so vivid I can see the things he did like its still happening. I dont want to go into too much detail because I dont want to trigger anyone, but its just so hard. I wish these memories would just go away. I am tired of the flashbacks, the nightmares of running from people trying to hurt me. Its so hard i can still hear what songs were playing. In fact yesterday one of the songs came on the radio and i had to have my boyfriend change the song because it started giving me flashbacks. He wanted to listen to the song but he turned it anyway. I just feel bad because he should be able to listen to those songs. It just adds so much more stress. I just dont know why the details are so vivid in my mind. Does anyone else have this problem? I just dont know. I just know its so hard.

I just feel bad because he should be able to listen to those songs
It's probably relatively more important for you to be free from hearing them.

If he really wants to listen to them while you're around, he could get earphones or something, or just listen to them some other time.

I think it's just a feature of PTSD that details stick in one's mind. Maybe there is some form of therapy that could help.

A member here has suggested that mirtazipine is an anti-depressant that can help with flashbacks.

I think some people have also mentioned off-label use of the drug prazosin.

BlueHealingHeart

No your not alone. There's certain things I avoid due to triggers. Before a certain TV series would be on the TV and I would sob really hard. But now I can change the channel without having a panic attack. I still get very shaky and I have trust issues, but things are healing in it's own time. This happened three years ago and I chose to remain quiet out of fear of being judged. I'm more open about it now. Trust me your not alone, with the way your feeling. I'm glad your boyfriend changed the song, especially if it was upsetting/triggering you. *sadhug

Sarah110

i just dont know. My PTSD from the assault is really bothering me lately. Things are so real like it just happened yesterday. The memories are so vivid I can see the things he did like its still happening. I dont want to go into too much detail because I dont want to trigger anyone, but its just so hard. I wish these memories would just go away. I am tired of the flashbacks, the nightmares of running from people trying to hurt me. Its so hard i can still hear what songs were playing. In fact yesterday one of the songs came on the radio and i had to have my boyfriend change the song because it started giving me flashbacks. He wanted to listen to the song but he turned it anyway. I just feel bad because he should be able to listen to those songs. It just adds so much more stress. I just dont know why the details are so vivid in my mind. Does anyone else have this problem? I just dont know. I just know its so hard.
I do. They are flashbacks. My ex horribly abused me and finally tried to kill me. I have nightmares almost every night still and that was 10 years ago. I fell asleep on the couch the other night and woke up screaming and arms flailing. I don’t know how long it takes to get over it. I still get flashbacks when I see violence on tv or even if my new husband tries to startle me. I’ve told him not to do that, but I don’t think he understands what it does to me. Seek counselling for PTSD and flashbacks. They are terrifying. I feel for you, and I know how you feel.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hey there, those are classic PTSD symptoms and flashbacks. I'm so sorry you are going through this, no-one deserves this and no you are most definitely not the only one.

Are you in counselling? Have you heard of EMDR, it specifically treats PTSD. I have heard excellent things regarding it and I think if it is in your area you should give it a try *hug

Anti-anxiety medication can help too, how are your anxiety levels?

SF is here for you and there are many PTSD sufferers here who can relate so please don't suffer in silence and keep reaching out.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00