Am I too harsh

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Ze'ev-Hayalim, Aug 16, 2007.

?

Do they deserve the death penalty

Poll closed Aug 22, 2007.
  1. Yes

31.3%
  2. No

21.9%
  3. Depends on Given Circumstance.

46.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is it too much, or too extreme to demand that convicted rapists, child molesters and those prone to commiting domestic abuse be sentenced to death?

2. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

We need to prevent it from happening and help fix those people. theres no point is just killing any one who does a serious crime. Lets kill robbers and scam artist Etcetera too while were at it? I think in china 20 million people get executed a year? DO we really need to do that too? there will still be more being raised. more getting closer to becoming one of those people. and its there genes and the circumstances of their life etcetera that helped make them that way.

3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I don't believe in the death penalty for any reason.

4. flatline5150

flatline5150 Member

i am a criminal justice student and i truly believe pedophiles should be put to death. rapists should be castrated and what kind of domestic violence are you referring too?

5. flatline5150

flatline5150 Member

when these events happy to you, you will change your mind :)

6. Esmeralda

The thing is, I base many of my beliefs on being objective. For example, of course if my child was raped or something awful like that, I would want that person to die. That is my anger talking, not my beliefs. If my daughter was of 13 was pregnant, I may want her to have an abortion. That is my fear talking. If a parent or loved one was dying of an incurable illness, I may want them to be put out of their misery via euthanasia. That is my grief talking.

I have to look at my TRUE beliefs from an unemotional standpoint, otherwise I could justify just about anything to myself, and I think that is a slippery slope. I believe in the sanctity of human life. Period.

7. animebling

animebling Well-Known Member

It seems unfair for the punishment to be harsher then the crime.

8. xan

xan Chat Buddy

How exactly can you compare crimes and punishment though? You can't exactly use rape as a punishment and what is the equivalent punishment? In reality all legal punisments are too fair, even death, it's just an escape route to avoid paying for the crime. Being tortured for a few months/years would probably be fitting and then forced to be a slave for the victim who can belittle and tourment them for a while. I think I should be allowed to be a judge with ultimate unquestionable power... at least I'd cut down crime rates, criminals would be too shit scared to do anything wrong :p.

Oh and something i hate about people arguing against death penalty with, what if you find out they're innocent? Well maybe after every trial we should just let them go, innocent or not, just incase they are innocent, it'd be unfair to punish them apparently?

EDIT: Oh and something else I remember from A-level law, in respose to the Depends on Circumstances option in this poll. A judge lowered a rapists sentance because he was "considerate" enough to wear a condom, another said that a preteen girl who was raped was not exactly an angel and some judges say dressing provactively is like asking to be raped. (Seriously, it scares me that all these old white men from rich upper class backgrounds have control over a society they don't see.)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2007
  9. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

death is not too harsh for the rapist. they have taken something away from someone with no reguards to how it will effect them. some spend their whole lives trying to get back what was taken from them. in my opinion, it is just like death only to a different capacity.

burn em!!!!!!!!!castrate them!!!!!!!!! torture them relentlessly then kill!!!!!!!!

10. Betterometer

Betterometer Guest

I used think the same until I looked into the matter. I dont think you would say that if you knew why some men did it... i.e. social isolation, disability, etc.. if you want to end rape the government should legalize and subsidize prostition for developmentally challenged people and people who are involuntarily celibate for long periods of time, it is unnatural and unhealthy to starve people of sex, you trying going 5-10 years without sex and see how you'd turn out, at the extremes you'd most likely rape someone or go pedo.

Next is also the issue of uneven development, there are 'women pedos' who get off scott free. There are people like Debra lafave, etc engaging students and whatnot.

But we have double standards in our society, southpark says it all:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=N6LOz0Eiebo

11. Betterometer

Betterometer Guest

I don't believe (all of them) deserve to be punished because the issue is society itself, it doesn't want to acknowledge the ugly fact that lots of men are losers and women are the choosers in the relationship seat, so many men go sexually deprived for many months or in the worst cases years on end, and you get pedo's and rapists if they go too long without it or you have someone who was developmentally challenged or perhaps they are just evil mofo's. Society itself contributes to pedo-hood by being ignorant of their responsibility to the people they bring into this world.

If you want to end rape legalize prostitution and have the government subsidize it for the developmentally challenged and involuntarily celibate men, its an issue of biological needs not being met, in past cultures they have rules that tribe has to take care of members sexual needs if they do not find a mate because they are not stupid like modern westerners. Who descended from judeo christian barbarians who's views on sexuality, morality is beyond fucked up, and a lot of that cultural baggage is still with us in secular forms, its little wonder the west is so messed up.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  12. Esmeralda

For fuck's sake. We are human beings and we have control over ourselves. Sorry if a person is developmentally challenged, go beat off or something, but don't use that as an excuse to go around raping people. Also, most rapists are not people who are sex-starved. They are VIOLENT criminals who rape people as a matter of control and torture. Rape is not about sex, it's about violence.

Legalize prostitution? I don't see why not. But I guarantee it will not cut down on the number of sexual assaults.

And I still don't believe in the death penalty or torture for any reason. As much as we might want vengeance, that should not be the goal. The goal is 1.) Incarceration, to protect others from being victimized by that person, and 2.) Rehabilitation, to ensure that the offender will no longer perpetrate the same acts of violence and assault. If rehabilitation is impossible (as it often is with sex offenders) then permanent incarceration is the best option.

We are not barbarians, and killing people (the death penalty) is not a deterrent, just mindless vengeance.

13. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I think sex offenders should be in prisoned, kill? don't know about that, but it's proven sex offenders don't "get better" and they never offend once, they reoffend, even if they aren't caught. It destroys lives, some people kill themselves in the end over it, either way it take away a lot of who the person is and you never get it back. There wasn't a choice on there for me to pick, so I improvised. I think jail/prison/psychiatrict hospital, so they aren't allowed to ruin more lives.

14. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

Like carolyn said there is no way to cure these people, its like trying to make a person born with no legs to grow a pair. I guess the only way for them to be truly free of these thoughts is to be killed, because even if you take away the ability to do wrong it doesnt make them moral human beings.

15. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

I voted yes for killing rapists and child molesters, but killing those prone to domestic abuse is far too harsh... depends on the circumstances, maybe, but generally, definitely no. I don't know what their punishment should be, though... oftentimes, people prone to domestic abuse aren't really bad people... rapists, however... they have no right to live. They should be tortured in unthinkable manners, under a very long period, and when they go numb to it, they should be chopped into pieces, while still alive, and during the procedure, they should be fed with their own body parts.

16. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Another thing that would be appropriate to do, before starting to torture a rapist, would be to cut off the rapist's genital parts and make a meal of them, that the rapist would be forced to eat, while knowing what the meal was made of. A meal of the genital parts, complete with salad and such, too; it would be more humiliating, then.

By the way, lying about rape should lead to a death sentence, as well, if it could be proven it was a lie. Lying about such a horrific thing is equally horrible, but in a different way... that is, if you point out a supposed rapist, while doing it. Just lying about it, for some reason, otherwise, would not be included in this scenario.

17. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

You are full of shit, by the way, Betterometer; I am over 26 years old, and have never had sex; never done anything sexual at all, in fact, aside from masturbation, of course. To add, I am completely obsessed with sex; if I'd ever find that special girl, I would have sex with her, all the time. The only thing I live for is to find my true love that I can have wonderful sex with. I am as sex starved as you get, basically; I think about it constantly. Never once, however, have any thoughts of rape or paedophilic thoughts entered my head.

18. Betterometer

Betterometer Guest

Other people are not as strong as you, you need to go look at the research on these people in scientific journals. You're trying to project yourself onto them, YOU are not THEM. Get it? good.

19. Esmeralda

Sexual deprivation is a mere excuse for doing what, frankly, you probably have fantasies about doing anyway. Most sex offenders are not sexually deprived. They are deprived of the TYPE of sex they want. The kind where they can dominate and humiliate another person.

This is not sex, it is power. Otherwise, why not just pay a prostitute if it's just the sexual urge that needs to be gratified?

20. Blackness

Blackness Guest

I think they deserve the harshest penality!
    fucking assholes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.