Am I totally alone in doing this?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Aphorism, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aphorism

Aphorism Well-Known Member

I have quite an unusual habit, it seems.

I often rub the skin on my hands repeatedly, to produce a small friction blister. I let it heal, and repeat the process. Less often, in a short period of time, I will scratch my skin in a small area until it becomes red and irritated. It will eventually scab and heal.

Neither of these things really hurt, and I find it akin to nail-biting.

I'm curious to see if anyone here or knows someone who has done this, or does this habitually?

:anyone:

2. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Kind of. A lot of my anxiety manifests itself in restless hands and arms, sometimes to try and ease it i will rub and when i can't stop my skin will get a little raw.

I can't say it's really a habit though.

3. Aphorism

Hm, yes, this is an anxiety habit I suppose. Yours sounds most like dermatillomania.

4. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

It's not that serious. For the most part i have my anxiety under control so it's not very often. I am more of a cutter/burner.

Just in extreme cases when i disassociate i feel my arms don't belong to me, they crawl so i rub them.

It hasn't happened in a while.

5. Aphorism

Ah. Well, I imagine that's worse. I hope things are feeling better for you...

6. MiraWolf95

MiraWolf95 Account Closed

I sometimes do that to if I'm really irritated.

7. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Well it's not a matter of begin worse or not. You struggles and issues are of equal importance.

Are you taking any medication or in therapy? If not i hope you can get some help. It does make it easier for the most part.

8. Aphorism

Hooray, someone that also messes with their skin. :cow:

9. Aphorism

Thanks, you have a good point. And I was in therapy, though not recently. I have considered trying again, as encouragement of a friend, but the time has sort of escaped me.

10. MiraWolf95

MiraWolf95 Account Closed

lol yupp, you're not alone :p. I'm always to scared to cut myself since I'm terrified of blood, so I just mess with my skin.

11. XsweetpoetX

XsweetpoetX Well-Known Member

I used to scratch my arms till they bleed,before I started cutting. Left some nasty scars too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.