Am I underweight?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Petal, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I thought I was underweight until my doctor told me im a healthy weight:unsure: I am 5''7 and weigh 6 and a half stone(91lbs). I cant even eat properly, but i assume she didnt want to give me meds for that so told me i am a healthy weight?

2. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

You are a little underweight yeah. It isnt something to worry about too much though, you're not in any danger at that weight.

What troubles do you have when you try to eat?

3. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

* Underweight = <18.5
    * Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
    * Overweight = 25-29.9
    * Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

You're underweight. Your BMI is 14.3

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

4. Petal

5. flowerpot

flowerpot Well-Known Member

You probably are a bit underweight, because you're tall-ish, well it's healthy for someone shorter then you to weight a fair bit more then what you do, but I don't think it's anything to serious.. maybe you're just a naturally very thin person?

6. Petal

Thats just it. Im not naturally thin at all. Im naturally sort of chubby lol! I guess since its not serious i dont have anything to worry about, thanks :hug:

7. darkplace

darkplace Well-Known Member

i weigh 9 stone and im 5'4 :( my belly is so big im gonna fall over soon..

8. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

Nah that's a healthy weight for a girl.

I am 6' 2'' and I weigh 175.... I look skinny, but I feel so fat! :laugh:

9. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're underweight. You're my height yet you're 60 pounds lighter. And I'm not overweight! Your doctor sounds like a fool.

10. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

A bit underweight indeed.

Not bad though. I knew a girl who was 5'9'' and weighed 105 pounds. Funny thing is she could eat more than me.

11. Berry

Berry Guest

Six and a half stone isn't nearly healthy for someone of your height. You should get a new doctor. :blink:

12. Victori@

Victori@ Well-Known Member

And I thought I was underweight!!

your soooo tiny!!!!

Come over and we will eat some cookies and milk!! Yummm...:)

13. Petal

Since I wrote this thread I have lost another 7 lbs, and victori@ Ill bring the pizza , and u can bring the cookies :party:

14. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

That's not good. I'm borderline healthy, a couple extra pounds and I'm overweight. 5'10'' and around 180lb, I wish I could lose weight as easily as you.

But really, try gaining some weight =)

15. Berry

Berry Guest

:eek:hmy: Please be careful. :hug:

16. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I am not a doctor or anything of the sort but that does sound really underweight to me, especially now considering you've lost another 7lbs. I really think you should get your weight checked by a doctor and see what they say hun, maybe ask if they can give you something to increase appetite or something. Perhaps there's a reason why you're not eating like a side effect to medication, the route it's going down doesn't look too healthy. :hug:

17. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Assuming that you're female, you could probably stand to gain some weight. I think about 140 pounds is a pretty healthy weight for a woman of your height. But I've known women who weighed less than 100 pounds all their lives and didn't seem unhealthy. I think it's really an individual thing. Do you feel bad? If you feel healthy, you probably are.

Best advice I can give is to eat if you can. If you're not accustomed to eating large amounts of food, it will take a while to get used to eating full meals. I wouldn't advise you to force yourself to eat larger amounts than you think you can handle but simply eating a little more than usual will help.

18. plates

plates Well-Known Member

You know, if you were at an ED clinic they'd think you were going to die at that weight, especially if you've lost more weight since at the rate you're going. I can't believe people on this thread saying that's a "normal weight for a female."

Your BMI, is clinically, emaciation...

I don't know if this is to do with drugs/alcohol or anything but be careful, it's taken me 11 years to get to the point where I'm physically very weak from what I've done to myself through anorexia. Your body is eating itself up, there's something going on here you need to address..

Your doctor sounds like an incompetent <insert whatever name you wish> who doesn't want to look at why you're losing so much weight so fast.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2008
  19. Doctors are the experts, or they think so : /..
    I would eat lots of McDonalds.
    Nah, just make sure your eating balanced diets and even if you can't manage big meals, eat regularly thoughout the day.
    I hope this helps..
    Take care.
    Keep smilin.
    Lou
    x

20. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I agree, in fact reading this thread and the comments like, 'thats a healthy weight for a girl' made me feel very bad about myself :/