Amanda Knox: Media Fascination With Pretty Young White Women?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Zurkhardo, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if all this attention on her is evidence of this phenomenon. I know the case was newsworthy, but I can't help but wonder if being unattractive, non-white, and/or male would've changed anything about the level of scrutiny she's received. What does everyone think about the social phenomenon itself for that matter?

2. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

Because, privilege is global.* Amanda was the daughter of a major executive at Macy’s,I think that's a major part of it. I don't think skin colour or beauty has anything to do with it. It's also so big because most people outside America think she's guilty on account of all the lies she's told through out this case and like being seen doing cartwheels the day after poor meredeth kerchers death. I think there's a real sense that she's walked free purely coz Italian forensics fucked up.

3. chjones21

chjones21 Well-Known Member

It is also quite unusual for a woman to be a murderer.

I think that is part of it. Someone with no specific reason - not a jilted lover, not an impoverished and starving desperado ....

I think even were she to have looked average or like the back of a bus - the level of interest would have been there because of those above factors.

I loathe everything about this case, I cannot understand how Italian forensics effed up so so so badly and I just absolutely feel 7,000% for the family of Meredith Kercher. Just so desperately awful for them - really. I can't imagine what they are going through - if I start to think about it being my sister or my daughter. Man, it doesn't bear thinking about. I am so sorry for them.

4. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

Women can kill - and make no mistake!!

Even Mafia bosses these days!

As for this girl - she was rich white privileged.

Her daddy got her free with a team of lawyers who would free Judas and hang Christ.

If she was poor - no WAY would she have been set free - so money is a factor in justice which makes a mockery of it.

Money can get anyone out of jail in these cases.

But an English girl was brutally murdered and this rich privileged white girl and her mates had something to do with it.

Some kind of horrible rape and murder - but nobody saw a thing.

Just one guy killed her - on his own whilst everyone else was sound asleep.

Makes Italian Justice seem laughable.

5. chjones21

chjones21 Well-Known Member

I guess you are right.
    In fact, I think it is also the privilege factor (DSK is another example) but also the fact that the rationale is not clear.
    It is the same in the Shrien Dewani case which may not be all over American news but is all over the news here --- and he is non-white, non-female but he is wealthy - and it is a very confusing case.

6. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Missing/Accused white woman syndrome.

7. AlopexAngel

AlopexAngel Chat Buddy

Ummm. Her family is definately not rich. Don't know where that rumor started but it is simply not true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.