Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by ChestnutMay, Mar 27, 2015.

1. ChestnutMay

ChestnutMay Antiquities Friend

Yesterday, my doctor gave me an Rx for ambien - I hadn't slept for than an hour or two per night for three nights in a row. Last night I took the pill as directed, fell quickly asleep and woke up feeling fairly rested some time later. Just as I was climbing out of bed, there was a tremendous banging on my door, the kind of banging that comes with a police baton. Yikes! A terrified peek through the peep hole revealed that yes, indeed, the police were standing outside my door.

It turns out that I'd been asleep for over 24 hours and while asleep, I had called one of my daughters at a time most inconvenient to her. Subsequent efforts on her part to reach me had been unsuccessful and she'd gone from being pissed to being worried. Finally, she'd called the police for a wellness check.

Although I am pleased as punch that the daughter who has been ignoring me for weeks actually does care, I am a little worried about taking ambien again. A bit of googling reveals many stories of people doing peculiar things under its influence, like driving, cooking, writing and sending bizarre emails etc. Has anyone here had a similar experience? I've taken lunesta before with no adverse effects but it costs an arm and a leg so I'd hoped ambien might be the answer.
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi there,

I am really sorry you had this terrible experience. I was on ambien (20mg a night) it worked for about 2 years and then suddenly stopped working, sometimes it would give me slight hallucinations, a feeling of being very relaxed and zoned out. It is a powerful drug and is one of the stronger sleeping pills. It also comes in 5mg. It helped me greatly but the drug is highly addictive so be careful. I have been off it now since before christmas, my doctor had to wean me off it over the course of a month.

I would definitely not take it again and speak to your doctor as soon as you can. My ex-boyfriend took an ambien one night for sleep and he said the heartburn tables were running after him. It's a hypnotic drug, so its powerful.

Be careful, be safe and speak to your doctor.
  3. ChestnutMay

Thanks, Petal. That's the kind of personal experience I was hoping to get!
  4. Petal

You are welcome and if you have any further questions regarding this drug I'd be happy to answer them :)
  5. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Well-Known Member

Hey there!

You are not alone in having strange experiences, and as for Petal's account on ambien, I one hundred percent agree with her. I recommend taking it only if you absolutely need to and not even at the full dosage. 1/3 pills work just fine for the purpose; after ending up in the ICU and receiving broken bones the doctor prescribed me ambien. 5 years later I was still taking it even though I was perfectly capable of falling asleep on my own without its influence.

I am glad to hear that you have someone like your daughter. I remember one time after taking it I believed my mum was covered in shells and another time I started babbling buying tickets to some imaginary function or other. Very strange . . . It is highly addictive though, not to mention the effects it gives grow weaker over time to the point where even one pill does not send you to sleep. As Petal said, be careful and only take it if you need to. Better yet not at all. Occasionally my dad will take half an ambien if he has trouble sleeping but that's the extent to which he uses them.

Take care :D
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2015
  6. ChestnutMay

Thanks for the reply, Forest Creature. Your experience sounds very weird and is among the reasons I've decided not to take this drug again. I am going to call my doctor on Monday and ask him to call in an Rx for lunesta. No more ambien for me!
  7. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Well-Known Member

You're very welcome; happy to help! Ambien is too powerful to give to people as an ordinary sleeping pill in my eyes, what with its influence. Hopefully this lunesta works well for you just fine :D. Glad I could make a difference.
  8. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

I took ambien last year for a while and was told I did this and that and I have no memory of it and psych doc put me on seroquel and it worked great to make me sleepy and stay asleep thru the night.
  9. ChestnutMay

Thanks DDFOF. Glad to hear the seroquel works for you. The doc actually did mention this as a possibility so it's always good to hear of positive experiences.
  10. Petal

Have you been back to your doctor yet chesnutmay?
  11. ChestnutMay

No, but the my therapist is supposed to talk to him and get back to me. Hopefully he'll call in a lunesta rx. The irony is that's what he wanted to Rx in the first place but I asked for something cheaper.

Thanks for asking.
  12. Petal

Good to hear, glad you are getting it sorted :)
  13. BelovedChaos

BelovedChaos Member

When my mom took ambien, she had halucinations, and didn't remember them. I was watching her, making sure she didn't do anything stupid, but she was laying on bed and it seemed like she was awake but really groggy and unfocused, and she yelled, "Where'd that cat go!?" I said "mom, we don't have a cat", she said, "Then tell that to him." and pointed to a black plastic bag on the floor. The next morning she said she felt like she fell asleep, slept well, and woke up in the morning.
  14. M84

M84 Active Member

Due to my past with Ambien, I couldn't pass the chance to comment on this. First time, I was 17, young and dumb. (Anyone reading, Do not do this. It was extremely dangerous) I took 11, yes; 11 Ambien, crushed them and you know what..
    I put so many lives in danger during my year of usage of that stuff. I lost days at a time. Think about going to sleep tomorrow night and waking up Tuesday morning... Your phone is blowing up, house trashed, store items purchased & what other completely out of character bizarre evidence you find. Not only did I put lives in danger, I terrified my friends to the point they never see me the same. To anyone reading this with even a slight addictive personality, please be careful. This was
    more dangerous than any other drug legal/illegal I ever took.
  15. Petal

My boyfriend saw a packet of rennie (heartburn tablets) running after him after taking the recommended dose of ambien (called stilnoct here) but he wasn't frightened because of ambiens calming effect. I told him to go to sleep and he slept like a baby. With these meds you really have to read the leaflets and doctors should warn people more about potential side effects.

I actually want to go back on ambien when I go to college cos it was the only time I was ever in a sleep routine but I do not know if the psych will allow it. I have been off it since before christmas except when I was given it once or twice when really needed. Literally no more than twice.