Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by ~Tosh~, Feb 21, 2010.

1. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

I know it is an antidepressant, but ive been put on it for a spinal injury. Is anyone on this or tried it? If so does it work??

Im just curious thats all :smile: im only on 10mg a day so far...
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I work on a rehab floor and Amitryptilline is used alot for stroke patients and neurological patients It really works well on them drug of choice for the doctors there. 10mg very small dose that is what we usually start patients on.
    The patients find it does work for the pain
  3. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

Whats it like for depression though? im on 10mg for my back at the minute to get rid of the tingling in my legs.
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

actually my brother uses this for his moods it takes away the instability and anger and it does help him with his depression He has been really good with it.
  5. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Sorry to be picky, but if it is Amitriptyline you mean I was on it what seems to me about a million or so years ago, from 1980 to 1982, for depression.

I think back then it was not available as a generic, so I'm pretty sure what I got was Elavil, not some mysterious generic whipped up in a lab in Albania or some such place. But, yeah, even so it caused me a bunch of problems: constipation, dry mouth, and dizziness. If you want specific details I'll be happy to supply them. But they're pretty much what you'd expect.

One bit of advice: DO NOT GO NEAR ALCOHOL while you're taking it. They slap those stupid "do not mix with alcohol" labels on just about every pill on the planet, I agree, but Amitriptyline is one drug where you should take the warning seriously. The synergistic effect was beyond belief, I remember that much, if not much else from the experience.

FWIW, my understanding is that it is only very, very rarely used to treat depression these days, at least in the USA. The SSRIs, SNRIs, etc., being considered much safer and also at least as effective as the tricylics. Not sure what goes on in other countries.
  6. Shattered Soldier

Shattered Soldier Well-Known Member

I think you have to be on 150mg per day for it to work on depression symptoms. As an antidepressant it is usually prescribed in higher doses than for pain or neuropathy. They really don't use it for depression too often anymore because of the risk of heart arrhythmias associated with it. I do know that before putting somebody on it for long term therapy a psychiatrist will usually order an EKG to see if there may be any underlying problems.
  7. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

YEah excuse my spelling, i was very tired by the point i made the thread.. :smile:

okay.. well ill be sure to avoid alcohol as much as possible.. i have a HAD score today, and i think the mirtazipine (excue spelling) im on doesnt seem to be working, just making me very tired :sad:
  8. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I've heard that it's often used to relieve pain... It should work.