An awful call and a brand new perspective...

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by Paramedic21, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paramedic21

Paramedic21 Well-Known Member

Hello all, I know I have not posted on here in a long time. I just wanted to share a very sad call and powerful experience I had last night at work. I will start from the top. My partner and I were on our way back from getting something to eat from the previous call...we got dispatched on our way back to the station for a Cardiac Arrest in the shed. For those of you that dont know what that is, it means someone is not breathing and they have no pulse. So we get to the address and we are led to the shed by a member of the family.

I was carrying the cardiac monitor and some of the equipment so I didnt know what was going on. So my partner opens the door to the shed and shines his flash light...and I saw a man..sitting in a chair with dried, frozen blood dripping from his lip and half of his cheek was blown off. In his right hand he was xxxx He had shot himself around 1pm and was found right before we were called. His wife found him. When I went in to give them my sympathies and to get some information the horrified look on her face will be imprinted in my mind for all of time. The effect a suicide has on family and people you love is tremendous. Please think about them and the emotional damage you will do, this call was powerful and hit home to me in many ways. Even though im feeling much better, this call has changed my perspective on how I view this whole situation. Very heartbreaking.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
  2. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

Hi,

Thanks for sharing that. Have you thought about blogging about your job? Loads of people do, if you look at my blog list (link in signiture) there are loads of paramedics blogs that I follow. I find it interesting to read about depression, suicide and self harm from the other side. Some people think oh, another attention seeker but there are some out there that show lots of compassion.

How have you been doing recently?

Sometimes the death of someone can put things in to perspective for you. You don't need to know them but you can see what it does to the people around. For me what pulled me out last time I was bad was lying in a hospital bed and the person next to my dying. It was the way that the nurses dealt with it that got me. I know they see it regulary and can't get upset everytime someone dies and it is a occupational thing that you have to live with (i'm sure you have seen more than your fair share of dead people), but it was how everything was business as usual. I rationalised that the whole ward couldn't come to a stand still as someone had died. But thought about if it had have been me. So that experience pulled me out of it last time. Unfortunatly have slipped back in this time and can't seem to find the light. But hopefully it will come soon.

Anyway, hope you are well
    xxx

3. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Thank you xxx
    I'm pleased you are still with us x

4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

thanks for posting that. i'm glad you are still with us. how have you been?

5. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing and Im sorry you had to see that and happy that it make you look at it in a differant light.

Glad to see your doing better, keep it up.

6. warrabinda

warrabinda Well-Known Member

I'm pleased to hear from you on the forum!

a nurse i worked with recently lost both her son and husband shortly after. she found them both. she's not working obviously; she's a walking zombie.

Having now seen the 'ripple effect' it has on parents, it's definately shaken my perception of reality up for the better.

7. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Thanks for posting that suicide story paramedic. Guns are very dangerous in the hands of a suicidal person. People who are suicidal will often say that 'it is their life and they decide when it ends' but seeing the look on the face of a loved one left behind will leave a lasting impression. I hope you are doing okay. :hug:

8. Ravenwing

Ravenwing Well-Known Member

How very sad. My heart goes out to his family. Thank you very much for sharing this story. I am glad that you are feeling better.

9. HopeIsHere

HopeIsHere Member

Thank you so much for posting your experience. I can only begin to imagine how heart breaking, comforting and distressing that experience would have been. The main reason why I am still in this world is because I know the pain and suffering my death will cause those closest to me. But your post cemented my thoughts, so thank you once again.

10. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that. Thanks also for doing what you do.

I have experience of suicides, been to quite a few funerals now and know people who've lost loved ones by suicide.

Losing someone is bad enough, but when it's their own choice it hurts to the power of a zillion. You cannot help but think its a judgement on you. Even when I read about a stranger in the news who kills themselves, I think its a judgement on the world, a statement that none of us can bring any hope also.

Please hold on in there in if you feel that way.

The judgement you make carries consequences that go way beyond you not being here.

You trade your pain with whoever is left behind. The hurt does not go away, its just passed onto everyone who ever knew you and people you've never met.

Kill instead that part of yourself that cheer-leads the chorus of negativity.

11. clouds

clouds Well-Known Member

this has certainly mad me stop and think what my actions might lead to my family going through..Thank you for making me pause and consider life

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.