an indignancy, a comparison, an admission, a solution?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by ybt, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ybt

ybt Guest

Most people here, especially the moderators, are well aware of what "SF" is. I see it quite a bit: a pro-life forum, a pro-life site. Quite clear.

We are also, as this is a pro-life site, not allowed to give methods or to encourage suicide.

I do not see why this rule has so rarely or never been brought into consideration, even mere consideration. Albeit, yes, these are the rules, but rules are not set in stone.

One thing I have noticed on this website is that trying to convert people or putting down somebody else's religion is not allowed. This is fair enough.

But when you look at what "religion" defines for a moment: apart from the deities and entities, it is essentially a variety of concepts.

Following these logical steps, I ask you this question: why are we so rash to completely block our ears with our fingers whenever anything does not signify pro-life? Surely if converting people to a religion or bashing a religion (or set of concepts) is not allowed, this rule should be reconsidered.

For some people, it is genuinely the best course of action (I hesitate to judge, but seeing as we're not holding back...) to actually just... go.

Now, I will be the first to admit: it is usually the correct choice to stay alive. Most of the time it really is. And there are a ton of good positive pro-life arguments which exist.

I simply propose that instead of ignoring it altogether, we should actually judge concretely.

2. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

If they decided to take the course of action to allow discussion of methods and some people actually followed those methods this site would be shut because you are technically helping someone die, which is against the law.

3. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

quoted for agreement ^_^

4. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

I completely agree with Vikki and Kelly

but what I don't get. There are sites out there giving out methods which haven't been shut down at all. WHich actually surprises me. How's that work?

5. Malcontent

Malcontent Staff Alumni

Cos there's not enough proof that people kill themselves using the methods they found on those sites, and they often move servers and domains quickly so it's difficult to trace the owners.

6. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

How do you judge "concretely" what someone else is saying on a message board? We don't know each other and in all likelihood never shall. All we have to form a judgement is a person's posts and possibly something half-remembered they said in chat.

I actually agree with this, but also take strong exception to one implication that arises. I think it is a decision that should only be made by the person who is ultimately going to be taking their own life. In which case the opinion of others, whether good, bad or indifferent, should not enter into it. In fact, if you're going to go to such extremes you should be confident enough on your own and not need even backhanded encouragement.

7. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

You took the words right out of my mouth there Gmork:eek:hmy: :biggrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.