An influx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

i_am_not_here

I may have only been here for a few months now, but it seems to me that there has recently been a sharp increase in the number of people who seem to be taking a rather preachy Christian stance on things. Now, I happen to be a practising Athiest but I do not have a problem with other people having their own beliefs, even those that belong to an organised religion. What I do have a problem with is people coming across as being preachy.

Or maybe I'm just bitter and twisted.

I don't think you are bitter and twisted. But if you are so am I, because I happen to agree with you ... I have a problem with that too.

DoubledStratum

It interests me. Either I'm completely missing something, or they're crazy. I'll either gain insight or amusement.

I have nothing to lose by discussing. ^__^

I noticed there's been a few threads about religion fairly recently. I'm not religious myself but I'm not against religion and if religion has saved someones life, then that's great. It really is. I understand some people here have strong feelings against religion and if that's the case then they could skip the thread. I don't think you're bitter or twisted either, I'm sure you're not the only person to think like this.

resistance said:
I understand some people here have strong feelings against religion and if that's the case then they could skip the thread. I don't think you're bitter or twisted either, I'm sure you're not the only person to think like this.
I myself don't have strong feelings against religion, what IS bothering me is how highly religious people who think they know stuff are being preachy and trying to force their truth to others. I think this is what i_am_here ment too, and i completely agree with him/her. I don't have ANY problem AT ALL if a person is religious. It's a personal thing. And I am not saying that one shouldn't talk about their personal beliefs either. But they shouldn't talk about them as they were universal truths, trying to force them down on others too.

I

i_am_not_here

me_ said:
I myself don't have strong feelings against religion, what IS bothering me is how highly religious people who think they know stuff are being preachy and trying to force their truth to others. I think this is what i_am_here ment too, and i completely agree with him/her. I don't have ANY problem AT ALL if a person is religious. It's a personal thing. And I am not saying that one shouldn't talk about their personal beliefs either. But they shouldn't talk about them as they were universal truths, trying to force them down on others too.
Spot on. I'm male, by the way. :)

It's things along the lines of "I'm a Christian. You're depressed and suicidal. Go to Church, talk to a pastor, accept God and Jesus and you will be cured! Hallelulja it's a miracle!" that really bug me.

i_am_not_here said:
Spot on. I'm male, by the way. :)

It's things along the lines of "I'm a Christian. You're depressed and suicidal. Go to Church, talk to a pastor, accept God and Jesus and you will be cured! Hallelulja it's a miracle!" that really bug me.

Yeah, that is part of what bugs me too, that's what I ment by "being preachy".

And I'm sorry for mistaking your username. :shy:

L

LtRoarke

I read this and I thought, "Yes! Somebody has noticed it, too!". I'm Catholic, but it really annoys me when people talk about being "saved" or something along those lines. I did have a little incident that made my view a little more strong though. In short, a new (former) friend of mine made me meet him for lunch one day because he had something important to tell me. I thought something was wrong, so I met him. He tells me that I'm a bad Catholic and immediately starts preaching the Bible to me (loudly) while everyone in the restaurant is staring. I miraculously got a call from my mom minutes later so I left without a word asap. We're no longer friends.

me_ said:
I gathered that's what i_am_not_here meant and I too do agree. I dislike having religion forced on me and where I live we're faced with it at least once a week when walking through the city because people are holding up signs and speaking through them speaker phone things handing out leaflets talking about judgement day and all this. It gets on my nerves because I believe religion is a personal thing. It's a personal journey. My post earlier wasn't aimed at anyone in particular in case anyone is thinking it was, was just giving my view on things. :)

Most of the religious threads have something in the title which tells you they are talking about religion, If you don't want to read "preachy" things then don't read the threads.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether it is for or against religion/God. I understand your frustrations, but maybe some people also get frutrated by responses which say that it's all a load of crap.

I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00