An unconventional view of suicide ?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by ProzacDeathWish, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I know this is a pro-life forum and suicide is discouraged. Although I fear death, I could never face my life without knowing that I can leave if I want to.

This may sound strange, but the suicide option is actually my source of emotional comfort, a security blanket, if you will.

For me suicide is a legitimate, viable course of action, and one that I would never turn away from. Without it, I'm like a person trapped inside a burning building with no way to escape.

This may sound bizarre, but conceptually speaking...I need suicide.

2. nrvsreck

nrvsreck Well-Known Member

I used to feel that way when I was younger. That suicide was a viable option and the thought helped to keep me sane. I wasn't considering the feelings of those around me. Knowing that I could escape at any time with no reprecussions gave me a sense of peace. But now, I don't feel that way anymore. I want death so much, but I can't stand the thought of hurting the only person in my life. I can't leave her alone. It makes things far more difficult. Suicide is the easy way out of this endless pain, but she keeps stopping me. Since I've matured and realized I can't bear the though of hurting her, I've had to give up that security blanket. Now I can only hope I can get some help from drugs and continue on in a stupor or be selfish and just get it over with.

3. no point

no point Well-Known Member

Prozacdeathwish, I know what you mean. Suicide is a security blanket for me too. I always thought that I wouldn't live long. Thinking about suicide calms me and makes me feel in control. I just feel like I'm already dead inside and when I kill myself, I will only kill my body. It might not make much sense but that's the way I feel.

4. Thanks for your input , but I differ in one aspect of our respective views of suicide. I totally reject the view that suicide is selfish in the way that you describe it; you are ( intentionally or not ) trivializing me and equating my motives as childish and superficial. You are insinuating that, despite the pain that it may cause others, my own need for relief could never merit the the type of drastic measures that suicide entails.

Euthanasia, although controversial, is considered by most rational people to be a compassionate, last solution for persons whose physical conditions have rendered their lives intolerable. Even some medical doctors, in the face of a hopeless prognosis will, by passive methods, facilitate a "mercy killing" to relieve a patient's suffering.

Most sane people, ( except for some religious fanatics ), will agree that despite the emotional pain of surviving family members, it would have been cruel to prolong a patient's physical suffering. The suffering of the patient takes precedence over the suffering of the survivors.

Unfortunately unrelenting emotional pain is almost never given the same
    consideration. "It's all in your head"; your pain is a delusion, there is no equivalency with physical suffering, and therefore a self-inflicted mercy killing
    would simply be an over-reaction.

No one on this forum can speak to the validity of my reasons any more than I
    accurately do the same for someone else. There are some us who mentally cannot be repaired and rather than face a lifetime of unrelenting emotional pain, we choose to release ourselves. It has NOTHING to do with being selfish or not caring about our loved ones.

5. deathwalking

deathwalking Well-Known Member

I agree, Prozacdeathwish.Honestly, i probably would've had the opposite viewpoint, but finding myself having to deal with unrelenting emotional suffering I now can relate to others in a similar situation.Nobody should have to live like this, nobody.

I too fear death but Im not scared.My time is nearing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.