And here we are

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by myndsplyntur, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myndsplyntur

myndsplyntur New Member

Good evening everyone. I don't really know what I expect to gain from this site, or what I can expect to contribute. I've struggled with depression since I was in middle school and was recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder. None of which was really a surprise... I come from a family of mental illnesses. Up until a few years ago (I'm 29 now) I was a cutter, yeah thought it was a teenage phase but it just never stopped giving relief. But I stopped that. Not that it doesn't cross my mind from time to time when getting overwhelmed. I'm on an anti-depressant now which has lifted me up above the murkiness I was sifting through the last few years. But I still have the mania........ not as bad as most bipolar folks, which is a good thing, but just enough to cause trouble and destruction of relationships. Thoughts of suicide are more and more frequent the older I get... I'm not old, but as the years pass, the optimism of a future that gets better just seems to slowly slip away. I am married, yeah but having undiagnosed bipolar has resulted in many years worth of resentment due to mistreatment on my part - disorder or not, none of it was valid and he didn't deserve it. Still.... I don't know. I hope I can find some comfort or hell maybe even provide some here. Not really sure what it is I am looking for.
  2. 1Lefty

1Lefty Well-Known Member

Welcome, feel free to hang out here, maybe you'll find what you're looking for.
    What I found a few months ago, was that this is a very caring and supportive place.
    We all try to help each other, and with the different forums, and PM (private messages), you can talk to people who already understand you.
    Give it a while, post some more, read some of the other posts.
    You've come to a safe place.
  3. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to you.
  4. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

hi there and welcome.. glad to hear the antidepressants are working some now for you... fight the depression beast myself forever now and it can be crippling.. any way to to talk to a psychiatrist and get an official diagnosis of bipolar and maybe get some mood stablizing meds to cool the mania for you??? i do mania myself when i least want it and i do understand..

lot of ppl on here with similar MI's .. read some of the forum's posts and look around as able.. just being here is enuf for us now.. got any questions about things on here please just let us know.. take care, Jim
  5. myndsplyntur

myndsplyntur New Member

Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it.
  6. myndsplyntur

myndsplyntur New Member

I am seeing a psychiatrist now actually, who is changing up my meds and also thinks I may not actually be bipolar, but have PTSD. It's a process... thanks for the welcome and i hope things are going well for u
  7. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Hi and welcome to SF....I hope you will find what you're looking for here. Take care and hope to hear more from you soon.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.