Anger problems/lashing out

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Dreamland, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreamland

Dreamland Well-Known Member

So I haven't been diagnosed with any kind of rage or anger problem or disorder, but for the past 3 years or so I have had SERIOUS problems with just completely snapping for like 5 minutes of total screaming rage. It has caused me to be verbally and sometimes physically abusive for short bursts of time and it TERRIFIES me. It's like someone flipped a switch a few years ago and suddenly I'm horribly angry. Someone suggested to me once that it might be the oral birth control pill I'm on, but I only started this pill 1 year ago, and of course I can't afford to switch pills anyway.

Does anyone else have these bursts of total rage followed by horrible guilt? Is there a specific disorder I should ask a therapist about when I start seeing one this year?

Feel free to share any thoughts you have on the matter.

2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Did anything happen 3 years ago?
    It may have seemed insignificant at the time but may have set something off in your subconscious.

3. Dreamland

I'm not really sure, especially since I'm estimating 3 years. I don't actually know how long it's been since I've been this easily angered, I didn't even notice it was a problem until this year (other people have pointed it out to me and said it's been like this for a while, and when I thought back I realized it didn't happen much before a few years ago). As far as I can tell everything is the same as it has been for about 10 years. :/

...Though I think maybe I should try and go back and figure it out. I think you have a really good point.

4. Terry

if you find you cannot pin anything down, get your hormones level checked just to make sure they aren't out of whack.

5. Dreamland

That's a really good idea, too. The reason I went on the pill in the first place is acne, and I've also had weird hair growth (nothing too bizarre, just some chin hair). I wouldn't be surprised if it were a hormone problem.

6. Terry

ooh that does sound like a hormonal thing, in fact it sounds like too much testosterone (yes females have some of that :laugh:), would explain the rage too.

7. Dreamland

Yeah, I had actually been thinking too much testosterone might be the problem. In all of my forum searching about my acne it seemed totally in line with an excess of androgens. I think it's probably a combination of both things you mentioned. I guess now the plan is to go get a hormone test and find a therapist in my insurance network... lol

8. tweetypie

tweetypie Antiquities Friend

I have pcos which is where you make way too much male hormone but it hasnt caused me to react like that although i know athletes that use testosterone and steroid are well known for outbursts of anger, I whole heartedly agree with terry about getting your levels checked! It could be some kind of impulse control disorder. You can wikki it. Intermittent explosive disorder. I dont want to be too quick to label everthing as a disorder so definately do what terry suggests and go to your doc xx

9. Dreamland

Oh I agree, I think labeling everything immediately as a disorder is a recipe for too many prescriptions and poor(er) self esteem, lol. Also, PCOS runs in my family, though up to now I've never shown any major symptoms. I've also been on the pill on and off since high school, so I don't know if that could possibly screw up my hormones in general.

Anyway, this coming week I start training for my first job that has full benefits and health insurance I can afford, so hopefully I can get some appointments made to check this stuff out. I'll definitely look at the hormones bit first.

Thank you for all your input and "sleuthing" in helping me figure this out! Feel free to share anything else, I welcome it all. <3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.