Anger?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by pither, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pither

pither Well-Known Member

The last month and a half I have been experiencing something that I haven't in the past when it comes to my emotional and mental issues. Anger.

I mean raw, fully consuming, deep felt anger.

I'm not yet sure where it comes from, whether it has to do with my self-image or just interactions with other people. It just hits me and then I have to do something with it or I feel like I'll implode. The thing is though I don't take it out on anyone but myself-

Does anyone else have these types of episodes related to their depression?
    And if so, how have you dealt with it?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

My anger is always directed at myself instead of at the people who hurt me. I get mad because i have allowed them to cause me emotional pain mostly. I have allowed them to get to me when i should have been stronger and stopped it. I understand what you are feeling but maybe your therapist can help you find where this anger is originating from so you can face it head on and deal with it. Anger i think is just pain I use anger to keep me out of my depression sometimes. anger not a good tool but sometimes needed to give me a jolt out of being stuck in sadness.

3. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

An inward angry here too. It always comes from deep within. You don't have a normal response to the situation, because it stems from something else, another situation that created this emotion, or a series of former situations.

4. Corax

Corax Active Member

Freud said that depression is just anger turned inward.
    I get first of the rage, I have been for years. I was raised by an angry angry father, and so I refuse to take my temper out on anyone else.
    I suppress, repress and don't express, which isn't healthy.
    One time I was so pissed while doing this my nose actually bled.

5. pither

pither Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the insight- It's just really and unknown territory for me so I feel very lost and any advice I can get is very much appreciated.

It kind of scares me, I mean I thought I had a better hold on myself.
    One minute I feel the anger rising in my chest and the next my fist meets any random part of my body it can find-

I do however think I have a better idea of why I release my anger inward-
    I really, really loath myself and thinking back all my outbursts can be traced back to me.

6. punk0r1f1c

punk0r1f1c Well-Known Member

I kind of understand where you are coming from here. I often loath myself and wahtnot. But often times when I am filled with rage it is mostly on the part of other people's ignorance. They don't seem to understand the way i feel or the way I think and that makes me distraught.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.