Animal Abuse is Abuse too: Part 2

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by PressedIn, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PressedIn

PressedIn Well-Known Member

This is to continue the first part of this topic found here http://www.suicideforum.com/showthread.php?t=51794

After hearing this poor puppy pit bull cry at 2am I decided to write my thoughts of what I've been seeing/hearing in regards of the animal neglect and sent it in to my states Department of Health and Senior Sercives. If anyone is interested you can read exactly what I sent them below.

One of my neighbors is two families living in an apartment. The first family had moved in sometime in mid 2007. We never had problems with this family, up until spring of this year. My neighbor’s dog would bark consistently from the moment it was bought outside until the owners would take him inside. The barking was too much and we had asked our neighbor if he could do something to stop the dog from barking so much. He didn’t do anything. In early summer it seemed that every day the dog would wake me during my sleep in the early morning. The owner would tie the dog up to his fence around 8am, and leave only a bowl of water for the dog until he came home sometime around 4pm. The dog would knock the water bowl over early on in the day and play with it, causing him not to have any more water for the rest of the day. In the middle of the summer it seemed cruel to tie a dog up to a fence, without any shade, and give him only water which would be empty within minutes of the owners leaving. I attempted to give the dog water once but the second family that lives in the apartment was home, and I did not think it was a smart idea to do so. Over the summer I noticed the owner’s child attempting to hit the dog with a metal rake. The owner, who was watching at the time, did nothing. The child, who looks to be around 6 or 7, would raise the metal rake and pretend to follow through with a strike. The child never did hit the dog, but each time he would raise the rake, the dog would cower and cry.

The owners of the lab now keep him in the basement at all times, because not only have I called the police to stop the 2am barking, but other neighbors have as well. I have not seen the dog in a month or so, but I do hear him barking inside every once and a while.

The second family shows the same neglect for their puppy pit bull. Recently in mid August, the second family bought a puppy pit bull. I noticed a small wooden structure in their back yard one day and at second glance it looked like a poorly made dog house, which it was. The puppy is outside at all times of the day. It cries constantly, 24/7. It howls and barks in the middle of the night because it’s scared and the owners never bring it in. The hurricane that recently passed near New Jersey brought us strong wind and lots of rain. The storm hit (if I am correct) sometime between 10am-11am and I noticed that the dog was outside before that. When the storm was over I could hear the dog barking and crying, just an hour or so after the storm. I did not witness the dog being brought inside the apartment before the storm, and I did not witness the dog being brought outside after the storm- I simply heard the dog barking before and after the storm, and I strongly believe that the owners left the puppy outside the entire time.

Even now as I type this I can hear the puppy crying and howling. The dog house the owners built is not even remotely close to being sufficient for an animal to live in. These people neglect this animal so much I wonder “What’s the point in having a pet if you ignore them and don’t make them part of the family?”

I have considered taking the dogs because many of my friends would love to have either dog, and would treat them well. I have thought about informing local law enforcements but I’m worried that the dogs may end up with another neglectful owner or worse, a physically abusive one. At least by taking the dogs I would know that they’d be in better hands. I’m also worried that my local law enforcement may not even take the dogs from these people, and just give them more of an ambition to be neglectful towards the animals or just do nothing but give them a slap on the wrist. I do not plan to take the dogs away from the owners; I am aware this is illegal and will not do so. But, if this is not sufficient evidence to investigate further, I will do my best to acquired video evidence of the neglect towards these dogs.

If you wish to contact me, please do so via E-Mail as the primary means of contact, as I am limited to my phone service. If you must contact me via phone please do so Mondays – Fridays anytime form 9am-2pm. Thank you.

2. Oak

Oak Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Whoever neglect or abuse animals has nno problem whatsoever doing the same to a human being. I am an animal lover and do own two and they are integrated and fullly part of the family. As said before, why have an animal if you wont take care if it and make it suffer? Barbarian are those people and to me should be jailed for failing to the animals, a fine is not enough in many cases, it just backfire on the animal for the fine the owner got. Crudelty is legenday but if applied to them, the world would sure change for the better.

granny

3. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

this gets to me as I volunteer (its hard work) with a rescue and this is SO common. there are so many here abused and neglected and not enough room in shelters, and the city often ignores requests for inspections on abuse cases. :(

I hope this is resolved but don't hold your breathe. I really appreciate you doing what you can.

sounds like an american bull dog if he reminds you of homeward bound, but my last pit was short, yet lean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.