Animal Abuse *Potential Trigger*

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by SuicideIsTheWrongOption, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuicideIsTheWrongOption

SuicideIsTheWrongOption Well-Known Member

I don't know how many of you have had to deal with this in your lifetimes, but it's not an easy thing for anyone, and it's very saddening.

I recently learned my friend has been neglecting his animals, while it isn't direct abuse, it is equally as devastating. He had 2 dogs, and only one of them was able to be revived in a shelter. The other passed away from malnutrition.
    i haven't had pets, but i've always loved them, and i absolutely love dogs, so when i came to his place and saw this it hurt alot and i felt like a terrible friend for reporting him and he's had to pay a fine...but if i hadn't there would be 2 dead dogs.

I'm just wondering, when do you put friendship aside for things like this. I mean...is abuse acceptable to certain levels or is this something you take to the authorities right away? I think even though i lost that friendship, i still did the right thing.

Please post if you've had situations like this, or if you'd just like to contribute.
    For everyone who's lucky enough to never have to watch a pet die from abuse, please see these links so that we can help prevent this from ever happening.

Thank you.

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/abuse_neglect/

"People with emotional problems may beat, shoot, or stab animals or set them on fire. Those who abuse animals are very likely to be violent to other people—even their own family—too.

Neglect is not giving an animal the right food, water, shelter or vet care. Because their misery goes on for so long, animals who die of neglect can suffer just as much as animals who are harmed on purpose."

http://www.aspca.org/fight-animal-cruelty/reporting-cruelty-faq.html

This site has a much more indepth analysis of how to stop animal abuse and how to seek the proper authorities. No developed nation in the world allows animal cruelty; and in the US it is a felony with jail time in 47 states. Please do what you can to spread the word because it happens more often than you think.

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I'm not sure. With my experience with the local animal shelters I wouldn't report it, they'll be neglected at least as badly there (it's probably an exceptional case, though - a bunch of people at the shelter are currently in prison awaiting trials for animal cruelty, and donations that should be improving conditions for animals at the shelter are being used for legal defence.)

3. SuicideIsTheWrongOption

Of course there are problems everywhere and with everything. IE a little ceasers pizza place in Illinois got shut down cause employees were caught urinating on the pizza, doesn't mean all little ceasers pizza places are bad.

At the same time, there are other authorities you can contact should you think the shelter wouldn't be any better. In fact the FBI has a branch dedicated to inhumane abuse to animals.

4. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

Abuse is never ok. Besides shelters (which I 100% agree can be just as bad) there are rescues that humane societies can point you to, or even some animal hospitals know of a few.
    Worse case, they get put down, which is less suffering than being left to starve or be beaten to death, slowly & painfully.
    I have rescued everything from guinea pigs & hamsters to horses & geese. There are always people & rescues willing to help.

5. pit

pit Well-Known Member

You did a good thing reporting your friend. I would've done the same thing.

6. SuicideIsTheWrongOption

Thank you...i've been better lately, but when it happened i was a wreck. We were childhood friends, and he's not a bad person...he's just not responsible enough to take care of himself. But a life is more important than a friendship.

I've heard stories about animal abuse all over the place, and it really makes me sad. Like...i don't know why but it makes me feel even worse than human atrocities, and i think it's becuase animals are defenseless...especially a kitty or a hamster.

<Mod Edit, WildCherry: Details>

I just....i dunno...it just makes my blood boil. i wish the world didn't have people like that. Sometimes i wish there was a god, so that there would someday be justice for animal abusers....but i don't think there ever will be. So...please do your part, whenever possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2010
  7. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

wow I'm so sorry you went through that, but I think you did the right thing, you saved an animal life. I've had a friend who neglected the animals but I found out after they were taken away. Worse thing is that person has children...and at that time, she would spend her money on tattoos and drinks, going out, and would barely have money left for food for themselves and the bunnies, and cat...the boyfriend had a lezard, that he forgot to feed for a whole month, and then it got stuck inside the couch and he was like oh well, it died...but I saved it....it was given to someone else....

I'm not friends with them anymore...mainly because she's a selfish uncaring, and taking everything she can type of person...

anyways...I was so distraught to have known that later on...if I had known sooner I could have helped save one of the bunny that was killed by the other bunny because it was hungry...:(

and also when I had my first piggy, I had to give it away for a while because where I was didnt allow any animals, I had no idea that person neglected my piggy and she had a brand new cage, lots of left out hay and food...piggy died in a fish tank from heat stroke because she forgot to open the window...you have no idea how bad I feel for that poor baby...If only I had known..I should have known...that is something that will stay with me for the rest of my life...

8. SuicideIsTheWrongOption

I"m really sorry, that must have been really hard, but you couldn't have known, you gave her away and couldn't have known what was going on.
    I can't imagine what you went through, i love dogs most of all, but i've never had one of my own.
    But you do know the pain that can be caused by this, and this is why i think it's important we all do what we can to find animal abusers everywhere. Educate ourselves to look for signs and report them where necessary.

Thanks for sharing, that couldn't have been easy.

9. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

You did the right thing in my book. Animal abuse is wrong and sick, and you don't have to be a bleeding heart activist to know it. If anything, you did your friend a favor too.

10. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Principles > friendship. You did the right thing IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.