Anne Maguire

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Twocky61, Nov 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

The murderer of teacher Anne Maguire has been sentenced to twenty years in prison. Fifteen year old Will Cormack, who was a pupil in Anne's class, has been convicted of her murder & is now in prison (Young Offenders institute or YOI wing in a prison' that is) & will be up for parole review when he is thirty-five; whether or not he is granted parole depends on him showing remorse for his crime. Currently he is showing no remorse whatsoever. The sentencing judge said he could never be released, which will be the case if he still shows no remorse in twenty years time.

So the question is this?

Should he ever be released?

Should he be subject to a whole life tariff?

Should he have been sent to prison at all?

Should he have been sent to a secure hospital such as Rampton or Broadmoor?

If he should not have been sent to prison, but should have been sent to a secure hospital, could he be treated?

The main issue is: we don't know the lads history.

Was he abused (physically/emotionally/sexually) as a child?

If he was abused, then he could have a warped sense of reality & by definition should not have been sent to prison.

Obviously he has to be punished but he also needs to be treated.

Then of course there is the most important issue:

Anne Maguire, his victim & her family & her pupils.

Let's not forget them.

with a view either for or against?

2. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Since its a 15 year old, their brains are not yet developed fully I will abstain from forming an opinion my heart goes to her family.

Kids nowadays are heartless though this isn't first in US similiar crimes happened

3. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

"Kids nowadays are heartless though this isn't first in US similiar crimes happened "I think it is down to lack of empathy, perhaps partly to do with computer gaming. It must be quite easy for the line to blur between virtual killng in a game such as Mortal Combat and killing real world

Like you say DrownedFishOnFire their brains are not fully developed. So that would suggest prison is not the right place for William Cormack; but the there is Anne Maguire & her family to think about too

:grouphug: to the Maguire family and Anne's pupils who witnessed the horror too

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Taken from a news article

In my opinion he is mentally ill, very disturbed. He has been given a minimum of 20 years....the real question here is CAN he be rehabilitated? What he did was horrendous and a heinous crime that won't be forgiven, but was he sick, maybe???? I'm 50/50 on whether he should be in a prison or psychiatric hospital prison. I read a LOT of crime stories, true ones and a lot of murderers are suffering with mental illness and they are just sent to normal prisones so I do not know enough about how Law Enforcement chooses who goes into places such as Broodmoor. Just my opinion....one day he will realize what he has done and won't be able to live with himself, maybe they will release him in 2034 who knows how things will change between now and then, IMO such a dangerous person needs to be monitored very closely and be literally rehabilitated before considering release. Then there is the argument that his brain isn't developed yet, I'm not a psychiatrist so can't answer that!!

I did follow the case but the truth of the matter is we don't know all the details so we can only try and fill in the blanks. I believe he is mentally ill and hope he get's the help he needs, he's a human too, god know why he did what he did.

R.I.P Ann Maguire!! You sounded like such a wonderful woman mother and teacher, god bless you.

5. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

You have made some good points Petal. If he shows remorse he could eventually be paroled but showing remorse & actually being remorseful are two different things. At parole hearings a prisoner who is really not remorseful will say they are & will be on best behaviour and say what he thinks will get his parole application approved. Seasoned prisoners will know the system & how to play the system to their advantage.

I agree with you about his mind being underdeveloped at the age of fifteen. As I have already said his perception of reality over fantasy is most probably distorted. Being diagnosed with diabetes killed his dream of being a sokdier so he blamed the person he felt responsible: Anne Maquire because as his teacher he probably feels she is responsible for the fact he can't get into the army though of course she has nothing to do with him joining the army or not.

Luckily for the two other teachers and the potential baby he was not able to move on to kill them. Sadly Anne was not so lucky.

Partly I blame this tragedy on other similar incidents where a pupil has gone into their school armed & fired indiscriminately. Maybe Cormack had knowledge of these incidents and they inspired him to commit a similar act. The worlds media don't actually help in these situations. Yes they have a duty to report & inform the public, but all too often they glamourise tragic events loke this which must have an influence on impressionable people to copy-cat such incidents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.