"Anonymous" hacktivist group threatens to kill Facebook on the Fifth of November

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Hacktivist group Anonymous, which has been responsible for cyber-attacks on the Pentagon, News Corp, and others, has vowed to destroy Facebook on November 5th (which should ring a bell).

Citing privacy concerns and the difficulty involved in deleting a Facebook account, Anonymous hopes to "kill Facebook," the "medium of communication [we] all so dearly adore."

This isn't the first time Anonymous has spoken out against social networks.

After Google removed Anonymous' Gmail and Google+ accounts, Anonymous pledged to create its own social network, called AnonPlus.

The full text of the announcement, made on YouTube and reported by Village Voice, is below:

UPDATE 2: Anonymous leadership disowned Operation Facebook on Twitter. Apparently, only some Anonymous members are involved.

UPDATE 1:

According to one tipster, Facebook would not be "destroyed," per se. What's more likely to happen is a DDoS (denial of service) attack on Facebook which could, if successful, prevent users from reaching the site for anywhere from minutes to hours.

2. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Let them kill Facebook. It sucks. I deleted my account years ago and it was indeed difficult to do. Not only that, Facebook got into my mailbox and mentioned some names I thought were private. Fuck Facebook!

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Are they going to be wearing Guy Fawkes masks whilst perpetrating this deed? :dry:
  4. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I agree.. especially with the 'Oh, we saved your email address just in case you want to come back! Just use your Email address and your password, and you'll be back up and running!' (after 'deleting' your account)

They keep everything! If the Anonymous hacktivists take down Facebook, the world would be better off.
  5. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

This story surfaces almost every single year and its always on november 5th. First it was myspace, then they threatened bebo and now its facebook. People need something other to do than to believe the same crap year in year out.
  6. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.