Anorexia leading to thirst and frequent urination

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by anarulesmenow, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

I just read on the internet that anorexia can lead to thirst and frequent urination, both things that I have had for a while (I suffer from eating disorders too).
    I was just wondering if anyone knew how anorexia can cause this?
    I know that many people with anorexia become hypoglycemic and from this become diabetic(symptoms of which include thirst and frequent urination).
  2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Yes, I suffered bad dehydration for over 2 years, and spent a lot of my time with blurred vision because of it. I can see properly now I'm recovered and know I need to drink a lot.

Probably cos my cells couldn't hold water cos of starvation, and I was just pissing away you know? I don't know how I managed to love life so unwell but I did.

How much water do you drink every day? I notice I need a lot and I drink loads but not as desperately as I needed to lets say in 2008-9, and I feel and look much healthier.

When you don't eat enough, (or drink) you dehydrate.
  3. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

I drink more than I should and I urinate all the time.I was just wondering how Anorexia could cause this though, especially the urination
  4. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

I used to be anorexic, or at least followed a very bad diet. And I pee like crazy now... Even though now I eat more or less normal.
    I don't know why this is. I've had a blood test done and the doctors determined I was not diabetic, but my kidneys aren't working properly anymore, so maybe it's cause of that.
    It's really annoying waking up twice a night to piss out a few drops
  5. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

I used to get thirst thing, I was told it was from not eating, as food contains a lot of water.
  6. Sydx

Sydx Active Member

Thank you so much for this information. I've been suffering from both those symptoms and was worried because I wasn't sure what they were from.
  7. kote

kote Account Closed

i had the same symtoms and they werent nice. at the end of the day i was diagnosed diabetes type 2. which as it turns out helped my depression and lack of energy. my whole life has changed for the better because of this diagnosis. get it checked either you have it or you dont but it sounds a lot like you may have it.
  8. denistar

denistar Active Member

OMG. I think my anorexia is back. In a very mild form. But I'm hoping that it's just part of my depression......

In answer to your question, yes, I am dehydrated but I keep urinating.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.