Another Curve ball

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Loco72, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Loco72

Loco72 Well-Known Member

Don't know what to do...

My mother called me yesterday evening. SHe has a lot of health problems. She has MS, had breast cancer, problems with eyes(had to have syrgery) and something about the gel layer on the retina is tearing of(could be wrong about the specifics). For the MS she has an MRI of her brain every 2 years, to check for lesions on her brain. Well last year she had it and they found that her brain is shrinking, Which means she will eventully have altzheimers, but she already has memory roblems. Then she also suffers from severe depression, which cause her to be hospitalised several times. Yesterday she was diagnosed with Chrone's disease. And today she is seeing a surgeon. I have no idea what to expect, and what to do if she has surgery. She lives in South Africa, my brother and I live in the States...and neither one of us has the money to go see/help her.

And to make things just a little harder for her is the infrastucture in the country is falling apart. There's a power shortage, so randomly towns lose power for hours at a time. So my mother has had to spend a lot of her savings on buying battery powered stuff...

I don't know what to do, it seems like whenever any of us start getting ahead something happens again...

2. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Your mother sounds like such a courageous woman and must have the strength of angels in her heart. Sorry that she has to endure so much. Do you email her? If so, maybe you could email her an inspirational thought or a kind word everyday. Or a joke to help keep her spirit strong. I know it's not much but it's something. I really feel so badly for you and your brother. I hope that something comes along that helps you to find a way to be there with your Mom even if only for a few days.

3. Loco72

Loco72 Well-Known Member

Thanks itmahanh, that's a good idea. I don't email her much, and she's not online everyday, only when she is at work. But I'm gonna do it anyway.