Another day of job search

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by mpk, May 16, 2016.

1. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Another day of job search and disappointment. Searching for a job is tough, I know I need to work yet as each day goes by the less I look.
    Have had made several applications and have received the obligatory nice rejections. I am not sure how long I will be able to do this.
  2. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

My fingers are crossed for you!

Have you reached out to job centers to help you search for work? Are you spreading out? (I bet you're rolling your eyes reading that...)

But I really hope you find something, and soon. Try not to lose hope!
    As for now, is it possible for you to still keep somehow busy doing small jobs for people? Mowing a lawn, putting up some shelves? I know it won't pay much, but at least you are doing something?
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

No giving up mpk. You will get through this somehow, maybe take a short break from job searching, is that an option? I am sorry you are going through this difficult time. I wish I could wave a magic wand but unfortunately a peer to peer friendly listening ear is all I have to offer. I hope things get easier *hugs*
  4. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hang in there Mpk, I know it gets discouraging, but there has to be something out there for a man that's willing to work.
    Sending good thoughts.
    seadra likes this.
  5. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thank you all. I don't know what happened in my life I was motivated at one time now I just don't care. The pit is deep and every time I think that I will have finally climb out I get kicked back in the hole.
    I guess this is what they say is supposed to make us strong, not so sure.
  6. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

Been there got that Tshirt. I once went 8 months without a job. What did I do? I volunteered, I went to the gym, I went to networking groups. I needed to get out of the house and be with people to keep sane. Being isolated brings up those suicidal thoughts. Fortunately my kid was living with me at the time; I dunno what to do now that she moved out. It's not easy getting up each morning and continue to look for a job. I feel for you.
    Brittless likes this.
  7. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thank you cymbele, it is tough getting up in the morning. I don't have a support group I am basically on my own and struggling to do what is right for me.
  8. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

As cymbele said, isolation brings on suicidal thoughts. So I always get out of the house as often as possible. Oftentimes, while just waiting for the bus at the bus stop, I get to chat with strangers, and it makes me feel better because I had social interaction.
  9. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

I have been doing some chores around the house to keep busy. I just came back from a 3 week visit to some relatives of my wife's. The stress had dissipated somewhat yet when I returned home it returned. I really did not want to come back home as I feel that it has bad vibes if that makes sense.
  10. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Yesterday looked for more jobs. I don't know what to do, nothing seems to be coming into place. I guess I will mow the lawn today and try to forget where my life is at for a few minutes.
  11. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

MPK, keep up the search. Have you used the resources of your local unemployment office. Also employment agencies, and Craigslist. All are great resources.
  12. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I'm sorry MPK. I feel your pain when it comes to job searching. I despise it. Those obligatory rejections are really hard on any remaining shreds of confidence.
    Just Lost likes this.
  13. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thank you both. I have used all resources yet I basically have 2 things against me right now. I am 55 which I can't change and over qualified which I can't change, go figure.
  14. lightning05

lightning05 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear that the job search is continuing to frustrate you and be so difficult :( Since you say you're overqualified have you ever thought about taking some things off of your resume to make you look less so? You said that you are a veteran, right? (Sorry if that's not true.) There are no resources for vets? What about volunteering at the local library or something for now just to get you out of the house and in contact with others?

I know it is so hard. We've talked about the stress of unemployment so many times before. I really hope you can find something soon and keep your head up. Much love.
  15. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thank you lightning. My resume is bare bones now. The resources for veterans are pretty limited and I would not want to take from the more recent vets who need it more than I do.
    I will just keep on trying to find something but it is discouraging.
    DrownedFishOnFire likes this.
  16. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Received another couple of obligatory thank you for applying letters yet are looking at a different direction. It is tough out there yet I guess I have to keep plugging along.
    Being unemployed sure has put a number on the finances, duh.
  17. lightning05

I'm sorry @mpk . I wish that they would just not get back to people at all instead of sending out those stupid letters. Have you tried applying to different fields? Do you ever go on CL and see if you can be employed by a single person instead of a company? I know you are trying your best and exhausting every option. I'm sending all of my good energy your way!
  18. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thanks lightning. My skills are lacking as I have worked government for over 25 years. I guess I could look into school yet the cost would be prohibitive at this time. I will keep trying as that as all I can do.
    lightning05 likes this.
  19. lightning05

I admire your spirit @mpk
  20. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thanks lightning, trying to think positive is all I have left.
    DrownedFishOnFire likes this.