Another morning and day I don't want to deal with

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by sadhart, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sadhart

sadhart Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to do this again. I should be used to waking up feeling bad, but no....it's not something that I have been able to do yet. I get up with things on my mind, mainly stuff from my past that I have not been able to get over. I was thinking about a negative experience that I had with a mental health clinic/office a few years ago. I was reffered there by a lazy ass physician who all he seemed to do (or could do) was just toss me some sample packs of some pills. ( I went to him because a relative took me there. This relative has a very limited understanding of the mental health system). But this place that physician reffered me to was no better....it was just pills, pills, pills. I would talk to a therapist and no matter how i tried to explain the stuff that was going on, it would always get back to pills. The one or two times I did speak to a psychiatrist, her whole attitude came off as "im just here to prescribe pills" In case it's not obvious, I am not a fan of psychiatrict drugs. I had very negative experiences with them. in fact, the experience with this place ended nagatively(sp) and it's hard to get into. But like so many other things, I am still bitter over it. I know that on my part there were tings i could have done differently, but it doesn't change the fact that I feel the mental health system is often times really lazy and some times they do more harm than good. I never got any relief from a pill. Hell, I'm a recovering alcoholic, and looking back the booze I drank only numbed the pain to a certain extent.....but it was more than what medication ever did for me.

I don't know what I'm trying to ramble about.....I'm just not looking forward to today and I'm just very tired of life at the moment. I'm sorry for rambling like this.

2. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

It's okay, that's what SF is for, to get your feelings out. As I said last time, someone will always be here to read. I'm sorry for the experience you had. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. Please post again soon and let us know how things are. Take care and stay safe.

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi, Sadhart. I'm sorry you had such a tough time and that it continues to play in your mind.

I've heard from a mental health professional that the role of the psychiatrist has changed a lot over the years. These days a psychiatrist is really less a "therapist" than a doctor who diagnoses conditions and prescribes pills or treatments/types of therapy. The supportive therapy and talk therapy is expected to come from the family doctor, the community mental health agencies, or if the person can afford it, from a private psychologist/social worker/therapist. I don't know your circumstances, but maybe you could talk to your doctor(s) about finding someone for some of the talk and cognitive type therapies available. Some psychologists/therapists have a sliding or low fee system for clients who are struggling financially. At the very least, it might be worth looking into it. It's not pleasant to wake up unhappy every day. I hope you feel better soon.

4. sadhart

That's all well and good, but many of the psychiatrists that I have dealt with are just really lazy. It's like they just sling poop on a wall and see what will stick. I don't want to be treated that way. I do see a therapist at the local mental health center and every so often I talk to the doctor there. For a psychiatrist, she is okay. But I am still uncomfortable with the idea of taking medication again. I'm sorry, but I had too many bad experiences

5. Acy

Taking meds or not always comes down to an individual person's own choice. I only meant to say that pdocs these days are often more into the pill-prescribing part of therapy than the talking part. It's a trend. Sadly, you're right, some pdocs are better than others. I'm sorry you've had bad experiences and I wish you well whatever treatment path you choose. :)

6. sadhart

Thank you. I'm sorry if I came off defensive....this has been a sensitive subject throughout my life.

7. Acy

sadhart, no worries - situations like that can really rev up our feelings, can't they? I hope you feel better soon. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.