Another Reason 2 Not Join the Military; Video of American P.O.W

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Righteous, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Righteous

Righteous Well-Known Member

As I said in another topic, death is not necessarily the worst thing 2 worry about in the military. Being a P.O.W is a bitch. If u become a P.O.W, u will wish for death. Check out this article:

I'm sure he wishes he wasn't lured in by those "cool" Army commercials now. Sure, the video may show him eating good and it seems as though he is living peacefully ( if thats what u want 2 call a good form of prison living ) but he doesn't seem to really be having fun. He says he scared and worried about not coming home. He's depressed about not being able 2 come home and marry his girlfriend. Its a good thing that he did mention that American citizens have the power to make the government bring the troops home. And we do, its just that too many people let the government run over them.

So throughout all of his suffering in the Afghanistan prison, how does the good ole United States respond? BY FUCKIN SAYING THAT THIS IS TALIBAN PROPAGANDA!!! Yea thats right your government and Army who claims to love and support u as a soldier doesn't give a damn about u being held captive, they will just ignore your desire 2 be free and just keep on with their personal agendas with the war. Don't get me wrong, they may try 2 set up a mission 2 come get the guy out, but they will not put strong emphasis on the rescue mission. So basically, if they don't get the guy out, they won't really give a fuck.

Man seriously I know we going through a recession and a lot of u high school folks won't a good future, but if u go to the military, your hopes and dreams will be shattered just like this guy in the video. He ain't go be able to marry his girl and have a family like he wants, hell he won't even be able 2 fuck her good again. He might get free but I feel that there is a very very low chance of that happening. He's 23 years old and he's a prisoner simply because he was trying 2 be a good guy and have a career. And plus think about it, why would u want 2 fight for a government that lets a country get into a recession. Recessions are not natural mistakes, they are planned. The government is allowing a recession 2 dominate the citizens and deceive people into joining the military. Fuck the military and fuck America
  2. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

You have to be joking me right?! The fact you are using this as a reason to not join the military is completely pathetic... this guy gets captured fighting for his country and you use it for your own agenda?

People know what they are getting into signing up for the military, if they think that they will not be shot at, possibly captured, or blown up then they must be the most dense people in the history of the world. All you have to do is open a newspaper, magazine, or turn on the news to see this. If someone is seriously swayed by this post to not join the military then our country is better off without them in the first place.
  3. killtomorrow

killtomorrow Well-Known Member

have you seen THE GROUND TRUTH ?
  4. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

This sort of thing comes with being a soldier. Sure, no one ever truly thinks it could be them but they know the possibility is there. Fighting - and all the consequences that come with it - is the entire point of being a solider; so is giving up some degree of independence in the name of obedient service. (i.e. being 'owned' by the government as you'd call it). That's why it's called serving the country.

Of course I'm not suggesting this isn't tragic or that every one of the 1 million people in our armed forces are ready for this situation. But again it's a part of war and no one knows it better than those, like this man, that have given up their very lives for it. Keep in mind that the campaign in Afghanistan is far less controversial and 'pointless' as it's Iraqi counterpart; terrorist networks were actually based there and an international mandate backed it up.

And if you take economics you'll find that recessions are 1) cyclical and systemic and 2) ubiquitous around the world, not just in 'evil' America.
  5. Righteous

Righteous Well-Known Member

But people need 2 stop joining the military in the condition its in. They need 2 ban boot camp and stop fighting in unnecessary wars. AND YES THIS WAR IS UNNECESSARY, THERE IS NO WAY TO JUSTIFY IT
  6. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Oh god.
    You make me laugh so much you must surely be a troll.
  7. am I alive

am I alive Well-Known Member

No ofence but I'd like to know how many american people have been killed by those terrorists? I guess there is the way more children and other civilians (not including soldiers of other counties,Iraqi soldiers at first) who were killed by USA bombs. The american army don't care about peace in the world, they fight wars in the name of profit of Multinational Corporations.

The recession is cyclical and systemic because of the System who alows some people to speculate in financial market in order to make money. Every crisis makes the minority more rich and majority of us more poor. There are always the poor people who suffer the consequences of crises.
  8. xan

xan Chat Buddy

Isn't joining the military to get killed a good reason to join though? :/... It seems tempting to me.
  9. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

This is not the best example of a captured POW, while he claims he was captured after he fell behind his squadron (is that the right word?), the army actually believes he left base without permission to go drinking with a few afghan soilders. This is not so much a example of the follies of war as much as it is an example not to leave base in the middle of a war to go drinking in enemy teritorry.
  10. shades

shades Staff Alumni

The military shows commercials which are really uplifting like all those Marines in their beautiful uniforms tossing their rifles around. Then the special forces show a bunch of guys up on a hill in camouflage waiting to pick off some unsuspecting "bad guys".

Then they show you all the wonderful things you can learn while in the army, like how to blow something up with a tank and tell you how it's so wonderful that they'll even pay for your education.

The OP is right in pointing out this video...maybe the army should throw a few of those in there to make it fair.

ISSACS: Your comment stating that RIGHTEOUS is a troll (whether you are trying to be funny or not) just proves that you are uninformed or just being an idiot. Everything he says makes sense aside from the boot camp remark although boot camp could certainly use some work too.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2009
  11. Zurkhardo

The entire objective isn't tit for tat: it's not like we're supposed to go over there and kill an number of bad guys equal to our loss. The number of how many of our own were killed isn't the point - eliminating a hot bed of instability and illicit activity tied to organized killings around the world is the point. Hence, once again, the international endorsement and collective involvement (ala NATO and the ISAF): it was a region with negative implications world wide.

That, and it makes strategic sense to ensure that the enemy that struck you can't do it again. Afghanistan was, after all, their base of operations. We missed our chance to get these guys before so we were not taking any chances again. Multinational corporations profit, as thy do in numerous instances, and that may have certainly been a factor so far as the corporate-friendly Bush administration was concerned. But it's more complex than just saying that the entire armed forces is but a tool for profit.

You're assessment of the of crisis is too simplistic. Not every crisis has occurred as a result of this speculation (which seems to be your implication) - that's a recent phenomenon, largely confined to just the US and a few other countries. Indeed the system was flawed but not in it's entirety and not world-wide.

But I don't want to digress. Maybe this is better off as a separate issue. It seems meritable enough!
  12. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

I am glad someone here still uses logic...
  13. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

Well then I guess I'm the most dense person in the history of the world cause when I joined, I thought it would be a piece of cake.........I'd do my 4 yrs, travel around, get some life experience, then get out and use my GI bill to get a free education. Seemed like a good plan at the time.

Allthough,.....I joined in 2000, during peace time. How the hell was I supposed to know that a year later, terrorists would fly planes into buildings and everything would go to shit.
  14. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean that someone is less patriotic because it has finally sunk in that the possibility of being captured is "real". The army, air force, marines and navy don't include that angle in their beautifully produced commercials about joining. Also, there were plenty of National Guardsmen who were scared shitless about being actually called up to fight in the IRAQ war when all they thought they were doing was playing "army man" in the states.

Also, while I agree with almost everything Zurk has had to say on this site, there are dozens of hotbeds of anti-american activity around the world. To think that we have any chance of eliminating an attack on the U.S. by going into the mountains of Afghanistan with about 60-70k troops is as much a folly as thinking we would win the Vietnam war.

Also, I don't think I'm going out on a limb by stating that the overall intelligence level of the armed forces is a tad below the national average. That is what they count on when they produce those ridiculous commercials showing how wonderful it is to be in the army.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2009
  15. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

lol That's true. A few of the guys I was in with could barely even read. It doesn't take a genius to pass the ASVAB, thats for damn sure. Anyone with an IQ above the mental retardation line could pass it.
  16. girlfrom

girlfrom Antiquities Friend

I second that, Mike. Thanks.

17. girlfrom

girlfrom Antiquities Friend

No way. The smartest person I know happens to be a U.S. soldier. Have more respect for people willing to die for our freedom. Freedom isn't free, and it's not passed down to the next generation. Each generation must fight for it anew.

18. Zurkhardo

Whether or not some soldiers truly knew what they were getting into, they signed up for it, period. Why else would they be trained in weapons, survialism, and killing? That's the price one pays for getting into something that literally could cost you your life. It's a volunteer force after all. I could understand if they were drafted or conscripted (hence why Vietnam was so controversial). A lot of police officers and firefighters make similar commitments that can put their lives in jeopardy too, any many of them certainly didn't expect, say, 9/11. But that didn't somehow negate their mandate, just like these wars haven't for a lot of soldiers. Someone's got to do it and these people did and still do.

With regards to the intelligence of the average solider, one must keep in mind that a diverse number of people make up those in the armed forces. Indeed, the army is often a 'last resort' for people with little else going for them otherwise. It's also a place for bad seeds or spoiled brats to toughen up or otherwise shape up in life. But it's also a place for people looking to get a fast track to school, defend their country, follow the footsteps of family members, or even for an adventure. Whatever the case they share one thing in common: they signed up their lives and their independence for the sake of serving their country and its elected government. It's that simple.

In response to Shades' credible point, I'm aware that Afghanistan is very much a "Vietnam" in terms of its futility (heck the whole war on terror is, being that one can't fight a concept). However I was merely trying to highlight that, whether right or not, the reasoning behind it was strategic and not, as Righteous seemed to have had it, simple corporate greed or excessiveness. The rules of war merit striking at the enemy in self defense. That was the original intention of this war in the first place, and it overwhelmingly had the backing of both the public and usually divided global community. I was no different than us taking the fight to the Japanese after Pearl Harbor. The campaign has only since carried on this greater purpose of humanitarian assistance and disruption of global criminal networks (and that was mostly in the vain of "while we're here, we might as well" sort of thing).

Oh, and thanks for the compliment Mike, I try XD
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2009
  19. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

might as well
    Die for your country...wait I'd be fighting for all those ads holes who bully me,I'd still die for all of you guys:)
  20. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Respect has nothing to do with it. I do respect anyone who is willing to die for our country. Three of my best friends were in the Vietnam war. Two of the three became anti-war activists and see the current situation for what it really is...a means for the "'MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX" to continue unjust wars.

We are not talking about WWII here.

Also, it is no secret that the military takes advantage of the poor and uneducated in getting them to enlist.

You're just repeating the famous B.S. mantra of the military ("freedom isn't free") to justify any war...even an attack on GRENADA. And the same slogan is used to justify the war dead and mamed.

I suppose you think the war in IRAQ was fought for our freedom. lol.

Also, there are plenty of intelligent people in the army. I just said that the "overall" intelligence may be a tad below normal. Now, go look up Grenada and the Military Industrial Complex.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.