Another side to yourself

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Anime-Zodiac, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Well, a friend of mine has been fighting depression for a while now. He told me recently about himself having horrible and disturbing thoughts, ones that seem to split him in half. In other words, once he has had these thoughts, he then tells himself off for thinking them. Alot of these thoughts occur when someone is rude to him and then he thinks about torturing them. He said he has alot of anger inside of him. He feels there is this angry side to him which he can't sometimes control.

Anyways he wanted me to post this on this forum and ask if anyone has experienced such things?
  2. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Ask him about past schizophrenic diagnosis. Of course someone here will weigh in and say "me, too" but he is best served by a proper psych. eval.

3. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

(Also, intrusive thoughts point to treatable conditions.)
  4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I'd just say he's reacting in his own way, to someone hurting him and there's a part of him that feels guilty for feeling angry. And he's not recognising his anger as something that will, inevitably come about when someone hurts him.

Maybe, it'd be helpful for him to realise that it's okay to feel angry and to think of hitting back at someone. It's okay to let these thoughts come and go without beating himself up about it. And, if this doesn't work it's okay to channel his anger, safely, outwards in a way which means he's not beating himself up for feeling angry, or acting on his thoughts to actually torture someone else.

Yeah I've experienced such things, I've experienced it with my father for years and years. Anytime peace-wubbing people made me feel guilty for wanting him to die or speaking out for what he'd done and how angry I felt towards him, I'd hurt myself, fucking stupid don't you think?
  5. samanalea

samanalea Member

i´d go with ToHelp and with ggg4567. i think it might be a very good idea to get a diagnosis on that. i do now such thoughts, too. especially concerning my father. smashing some chairs to release the anger and talking with my therapist about it helped getting rid of them quite a lot. but as it sounds like he starts imagining those things whenever whoever is mean to him it does sound to me like more than what i have experienced myself. and both schyzophrenia as well as intrusive thoughts are treatable.
  6. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

Tell him to take up a sport to get his anger out. None of that raquetball stuff. I'm talking self-defense classes, martial arts, or boxing, something that requires messing something up in a constructive manner. Helps loads.

I think it's simply a matter of transferring angry thoughts into an appropriate physical outlet. Of course, you can't always run out and hit a boxing bag whenever somebody pisses you off, so if isn't able to control these impulses during the course of the day some cognitive therapy might be in order.
  7. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your input.

ggg4567, I personally don't think it's stupid that you hurt yourself cuz people made you feel guilty about your thoughts of your father.

My friend wants to add that ever since he can remember, he was always treated like a human door-mat, laughed at by nearly everyone and just plainly looked down up-on. He would never respond though to these things, instead he would try to move on and not think of such things. But he said in recent years he's finding it harder to ignore this.
    Do you think this is also a factor in why he feels his anger is harder to control?
  8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Yes. I've been treated the same way. He sounds very insightful.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.