Anti Depressants and Birth Control

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Mama_Pills, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Mama_Pills

Mama_Pills Well-Known Member

I've been on birth control (Sprintec) for almost four years with no incident, and recently got back onto Prozac after a little hiatus due to an insurance problem. So aside from almost a year without an antidepressant I have been on those for the same amount of time.

For the first time today my psych told me that antidepressants can reduce the effectiveness of birth control. I always use condoms in addition to my birth control which I take at the same exact time every day and never miss a pill. There was a few months where I didn't use condoms, which was really dumb, but I was in a bad place and thank goodness nothing happened.

I'm just wondering if any ladies have had experiences with antidepressants and birth control. Do you know if the effectiveness is disturbed by your antidepressants? Have you had any incident of getting pregnant when using both? Does anyone know how much it lowers effectiveness? I'm not sure why my OBGYN wouldn't tell me this ever, since she knew I was on an antidepressant.

I'm 23 and obviously don't want children right now (if ever).

Any help or reassurance is greatly appreciated.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

The best person to get those question answered would be from you doctor ok your regular doc and also your pharmacist would know their affect on each other