Anti-Depressants. Do they really help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never taken Anti_depressants or seen anyone about my depression (never will). Are there over-the-counter anti-depressants, even the mildest ones? Wondering cause sometimes i really need to take some pills. good day all.

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
I've been taking anti-depressants for several years and they help me a lot. As for over the counter meds, St. John's Wort is supposed to help with mild to moderate depression but it takes anywhere from several weeks to a few months to work and may interact with other meds - both prescription and herbals.

Why do you refuse to "see anyone"? I see a Pdoc every two weeks and it helps me a lot.:smile:

If your depression is really bad maybe you should reconsider your decision not to seek help. I wish the best for you.:smile:

Sending you hope and hugs,:smile: :smile:

least

givenuponlife

i know the stuff they put me on it didnt help me all it really did was make me a walking zombie, so it all depends on how your body reacts to the stuff

TheBLA

The biggest loser ever to live.
I think I'm about to take some mild ones, I hope they can help, my depression is getting worse. :sad:

There are so many anti-depressants out there, that it is more like a trial and error process in finding the one that works for you with the least amount of side effects. Believe me, I have tried at least 15 over the last 10 years.
If you are determined not to seek professional help, than you could try the St. John's Wort ( as suggested by leastofthese), but check with an herbalist or pharmacist, or do research to make sure you understand it. Also, there are herbs like Valerian root and Kava Kava that are supposed to help with anxiety, if that is one of your problems too. Again, make sure you understand them before taking them.
I hope his helps.
Peace, Love, and Prayers,
Michelle

consciousinsane

Lexapro
Paxil
Paxil CR
Atavain (Lorazepam)
Buspar
Wellbutrin

I've tried all the above in various dosages. Before I felt that the Paxil CR was helping me. Now I feel as though none are helping me. I'm still super depressed and still practice SI. The best thing that helps me is actually going to the doctor, because I feel like I'm going to get help. Like this next visit will cure me. It's been 6 years off and on, but I'm still trying.

They do react differently for different people. The thing to remember is that if you do get some medication from a doctor, and you feel your getting worse, call your doctor immediatly! When I tried Paxil, I became even more suicidal. However Paxil CR actually helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00