Anti Depressants..

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by NoRegrets, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoRegrets

NoRegrets Well-Known Member

So my mom called the doctor today on how I've been acting, and she couldn't get in touch with anyone she wanted to, but still...

It's coming. She wants to get me anti depressants, but I know the first thing they'll recommend me for is therapy. I don't want it, if I wanted to talk to anyone face to face I would do it myself....

I also know the first thing they'll ask me is if I'm suicidal...

It's almost...well, I don't want to go. I'm embarrassed, and I don't want to talk to them about this mess. I feel like a stupid idiot..

2. consciousinsane

consciousinsane Well-Known Member

Don't feel stupid about it. Take the help while your ahead. If not, you'll end up in a hospital and being forced to talk with someone if you want to leave.

And it's not really that bad once you get past the first couple visits. I've been seeing a therapist now for 7 months. I also see a psychiatrist about every month. I'm on 4 different medications at the moment.

If you are able to put aside your embarrassment and accept the help, then make sure you are honest with them. It will make things go a LOT easier. And you don't have to tell them everything at first. Just start with what your comfortable with. If you start antidepressants then kind of keep track of how you are feeling. Some of them may do nothing for you. Others may make things worse! It's important that you stay open about how the pills are affecting you. Sometimes it takes a few tries to find the pill that works best for you.

3. Come What(Ever) May

Come What(Ever) May Well-Known Member

It's all about the person and the environment. Offices and hospital rooms are no good. If you have to ask your mom for someone that will see you in a park or something. A nice laid back area. I had seen 2 or 3 and hated them all, but I had to get something signed by one before they would let me in the 8th grade. So my mom just had someone she works with see me (shes DYS). He was really cool, and as suggested above we met in a park. We had a really nice, relaxing discussion. No experience with meds though, sorry.

4. wildchick1986

wildchick1986 Member

The first therapist I saw was a man and I wasn't comfortable talking about certain things with him. I probably went to him 2-3 times. Then I started seeing a woman and it was much better. If you do go to therapy and you don't like the therapist, switch. It might just be a matter of finding someone you're comfortable with.

5. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I agree. Don't feel 'stupid' and do seek help while you're still ahead. And if the first therapist doesn't feel 'right', seek another. There are lots of them out there and one is bound to be comfortable for you. I depend on my antidepressants to keep me from going off the deep end - they've been, and still are, very helpful to keep me somewhat balanced.

least

6. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I agree with Sooz.. very true, I know it tends to feel that way, but it'll be ok hun. :hug:

If you ever need to talk, I am here :) :yes:

Huggles,
    Carolyn

7. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I can say that I have been very embarrased to seek help and I bet almost all of us do. I never thought I ever would turn out suicidal and depressed. I still feel that my therapist and Lexapro won't help at all though, nothing will help me but I'm sure you can get help, I hope you can and can take care of yourself okay? :smile:

8. feelmypain

feelmypain Well-Known Member

Hmm I was wondering if it had been a year now, and your mostly showing no emotions most of the time and thinking of negative shit and lost your confidence, you feel worthless and lost your social life..would you need anti depressants?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2006
  9. claycad

claycad Well-Known Member

The first time I went to a doctor about depression was when I was 17. I was tricked into going by my parents. They told me that they wanted me to go get a general physical since I hadn't had one in a while, didn't think it was a big deal so I agreed. When the doctor came in he said "so, your parents tell me you have been having symptoms of depression". I was shocked. I had no idea that’s why they wanted me to go. In a way I was pissed for being tricked, in another way I was glad that maybe it would help.

When the doctor asked the general questions about depression such as change in eating/sleeping habits, irritability, tension, guilt etc etc I answered them all honestly but lied when he asked about thoughts of suicide. He didn't recommend therapy though. I was put on 20mg of paxil. It didn't help, but I tried to act more chipper around my family so they wouldn't worry - I didn't even realize that they noticed my symptoms or I would have done that in the first place.

I was on paxil for a little over a year. About 3 years after that I went to the doctor on my own and he put me on 100mg zoloft. Again answered all the questions honestly except for the one about suicide. The zoloft didn't help much. I stuck with it again for about a year then gave it up when my insurance ran out and I couldn't afford it anymore. Finally out of desperation I went to therapy. I was in therapy for awhile and finally opened up about the suicidal thoughts. It was a relief and my therapist got me to try meds again. Now I am on effexor for about six weeks now. Hasn't helped yet, but therapy is helping some, not very much but some. Now I'm 24, and looking back on when I was 17 I wish I had been more honest about how serious my depression was so that maybe I still wouldn't be living with it 7 years later.

10. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

To Feelmypain: yes, I would recommend seeing a therapist for counseling and possibly antidepressants as well. It's worth a try and may well help you break out of the negative feelings, or lack of feelings, you've been having for so long. Please give it a try - it's helped me.

love,

least

11. feelmypain

feelmypain Well-Known Member

Thank you, I will talk to my doctor or a therapist about this

12. NoRegrets

NoRegrets Well-Known Member

I wanted to thank you all. I haven't been on in awhile due to other things, but I'm glad to know you all care enough to give me some solid advice and support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.