Anti-depressants

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Beautiful_Disaster_09, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beautiful_Disaster_09

Beautiful_Disaster_09 Well-Known Member

I just wanted to know your views on anti-depressants. When I was diagnosed with depression last year I was told I was too young to have them as they could possibly make me more suicidal. (I was sixteen!)

Who decides the age limit for these? Would they have helped me at all? Was it right to be denied this treatment?

2. HOW

HOW Well-Known Member

I think the general view is that you need to be 18 to be able to take them as your brain should be fully developed before you start treatment. They only start working a few weeks into the medical therapy, before which they can often make you feel worse. I'd stay away from all types of drugs until your older, drugs don't cure you just help you get along.

3. depleted_soul

depleted_soul Well-Known Member

I was 15 the first time I was put on antidepressants. They didn't help me then but they didn't make me suicidal either. That was over 10 years ago and since then it seems they are being more careful about prescribing antidepressants to younger individuals. Some warnings have said certain antidepressants can make teens and young adults feel suicidal. Although if you're struggling to cope with your depression it seems like maybe you could get prescribed a low dose and just be monitored by a doctor to see how it affects you.

4. Beautiful_Disaster_09

Well I will be eighteen in October but I don't know if I can wait that long to get treatment for this. What if I end up doing something before then? I am thinking of going into my doctors next week but I don't know what to say to them...

5. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

Ah even at 18 your brain isn't fully developed. Either way, if your below 18 most manufactors strongly recommend if u are being put on Anti-depressants to also do talk therapy. I personally believe psychatry is more of an Art than a acutal science, but thats because of the research Ive done on the subject. But they do work for some people, so I would suggest talking to whoever diagnosis you(or if it was in a hospital or you no longer have access to that person) to either talk to your your psych if you have one((get one they help, alot more than what I feel anti-depressants do) and if u can't afford, or don't have a psych, u can have the therapist talk to your primary care doctor to get him to perscribe a anti-depressant to you. (going that route will def. have u filling out different surveys for the right one).

6. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I was put on antidepressants for the first time when I was 16, I was also diagnosed with anorexia. I was hospitalised for the first days just in case...
    In my country, ALL antidepressants wear a warning label about the possible dangers when treating teenagers, as young patients may become more suicidal.
    I was as suicidal as before I was put on Zoloft (sertraline), but I hoped it would pass. And it partly did. I'm still suicidal, but not as badly as I was before. And antidepressants HELP. If they don't, then you have the wrong medicine.

7. Beautiful_Disaster_09

I went to see a psych and they recommended I do not go on them. They told me to go back to my GP if things go worse (this was over a year ago) The doctor who diagnosed my depression left the pratice and I have not been to the GP surgery in over five months therefore I am unsure about what doctors are there now and I only like talking to female doctors.

8. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Go back to your GP hun. A lot of anti depressants aren't licenced for under 18's but there are a few that are available.

A lot of the time medication isn't prescribed for a first episode/experience of depression & perhaps this was also a factor as to why you didn't get medication last year.

Were you offered any other treatment like a counsellor or therapist?

If things haven't improved since last year then go back to your GP & tell them that, if they do put you on meds, they will (hopefully) monitor you carefully.

:hug: xx

9. Beautiful_Disaster_09

I am going to give them a call on Monday. Things have got so bad especailly in the past few hours :|

I have been to see two different counsellors in the past year. They worked but in the end I decided I was okay to leave as I was feeling better. Things are getting really bad again though. I just don't want to keep running back and forth to them when things go wrong

10. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Prozac (flouxetine) is approved for use in severe major depressive disorder in children and adolescents by the FDA and the European Union! (*Research*) Zoloft is not approved yet but it's very proven for use in teenagers, actually it's even more prescribed than Prozac.

Hope you will feel better soon! :hug:

11. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

If your doctor feels you need them bad enough, they'll put you on something. All about the pros and cons.

12. ~Claire

How are you feeling today hun?

I hope you find the strength to call your GP tomorrow & tell them how you've been feeling.

If things are tough, reach out here, there's always someone around to listen.

:hug: xx

13. Beautiful_Disaster_09

I feel quite down at the moment. I am thinking positively about phoning my GP. Not sure about what I am going to say just yet but I am sure I will find something.

xx

14. ~Claire

:hug:

I'm around if you ever want to talk hun. xx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.