anti depressants..

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
I've been taking Zoloft for about 8 to 10 yrs now and it's helped me a lot. Keeps the depression from becoming overwhelming. When I first started taking it I had a few side effects for a couple weeks: mostly feeling nauseated and somewhat 'shaky' for no reason, but it went away and now I don't notice any bad side effects at all. One caution tho; if you're on a drug that disagrees with you it's not adviseable to quit taking it all at once. Most drugs are better discontinued if you taper off over a period of time - ask your doctor. But yes, antidepressants can take up to three weeks or so to "take effect", and with me, I didn't notice the effect all of a sudden. It was more like I realized one day that I hadn't been feeling nearly so depressed as I used to.

Yes, there has been research done showing a possible increase in suicidal tendencies while taking antidepressants - Zoloft in particular was cited in the studies. I have my own theory about that. I've read that many depressed people, especially severely depressed, experience the desire to kill themselves after being on antidepressants BECAUSE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A LONG WHILE THEY HAVE THE ENERGY TO ACT ON THEIR FEELINGS. I can't say if it's the drug itself giving them the urge, or if it's just that they finally have enough energy to finally do it. It's an 'iffy' thing - very hard to point to one particular reason/cause for an increase in suicide.:unsure:

I do know that any side effects or odd/disturbing feelings you may have after starting on antidepressants should be reported to your doctor ASAP. Sometimes the side effects will go away, sometimes your meds will need to be changed to something else. No one med acts the same on different people as we all have different brain chemistry and what works for one may not work for another, and vice versa.

I'm a big fan of my Zoloft (now available generically as Sertraline Hydrocloride) because of one of the side effects! One of the last listed side effects is "strange or bizarre thoughts or dreams". Well, my dreams are bizarre all right, but I love it!:smile: It's like going to a weird indie movie every nite! I call it the Zoloft Cinema! Only problem is... you forget the movie as soon as you "leave the theatre"! (ie; wake up):biggrin:

wishing you the best and better days ahead,

least

TheBLA

The biggest loser ever to live.
I have been taking Lexapro for a little over 2 weeks with absolutely no side effects, it is a 10 mg dose though, I think thats relatively small am I right?
I'm not sure if its helped me though.

My depression is due to my circumstances, its not because I was born depressed or because of my body/brain chemistry, its my situation, and I'm not sure if these drugs would help much in my particular situation.

eih

Side-effects can last upto a couple weeks, if they continue after a couple weeks call your doctor and tell them and see what they say to do. I wouldn't quit taking them and then end up having your doctor say a few days to a week later, well I could have just lowered the dose to get rid of the side effects.....:rolleyes: :ohmy: been there.....but type the drug name in the search space in this site and check out the side effects and it has a warning id you have these severe side effects quit taking it blah blah.....but I am almost possitive you don't have them..but it wouldn't hurt to now about the medicine you are taking. :hug: .....site.... www.rxlist.com

Take Care and if you ever need to talk or have any questions or need advice I am here..or if ya need a friend I am always up for more friends. :hug: :hug:

~Always for you sweetie,
Carolyn~

aww thank you so so much..

thanks for the link.. I guess I'll continue to take them for the next couple weeks... see how they go.

eih

I've been taking Zoloft for about 8 to 10 yrs now and it's helped me a lot. Keeps the depression from becoming overwhelming. When I first started taking it I had a few side effects for a couple weeks: mostly feeling nauseated and somewhat 'shaky' for no reason, but it went away and now I don't notice any bad side effects at all. One caution tho; if you're on a drug that disagrees with you it's not adviseable to quit taking it all at once. Most drugs are better discontinued if you taper off over a period of time - ask your doctor. But yes, antidepressants can take up to three weeks or so to "take effect", and with me, I didn't notice the effect all of a sudden. It was more like I realized one day that I hadn't been feeling nearly so depressed as I used to.

Yes, there has been research done showing a possible increase in suicidal tendencies while taking antidepressants - Zoloft in particular was cited in the studies. I have my own theory about that. I've read that many depressed people, especially severely depressed, experience the desire to kill themselves after being on antidepressants BECAUSE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A LONG WHILE THEY HAVE THE ENERGY TO ACT ON THEIR FEELINGS. I can't say if it's the drug itself giving them the urge, or if it's just that they finally have enough energy to finally do it. It's an 'iffy' thing - very hard to point to one particular reason/cause for an increase in suicide.:unsure:

I do know that any side effects or odd/disturbing feelings you may have after starting on antidepressants should be reported to your doctor ASAP. Sometimes the side effects will go away, sometimes your meds will need to be changed to something else. No one med acts the same on different people as we all have different brain chemistry and what works for one may not work for another, and vice versa.

I'm a big fan of my Zoloft (now available generically as Sertraline Hydrocloride) because of one of the side effects! One of the last listed side effects is "strange or bizarre thoughts or dreams". Well, my dreams are bizarre all right, but I love it!:smile: It's like going to a weird indie movie every nite! I call it the Zoloft Cinema! Only problem is... you forget the movie as soon as you "leave the theatre"! (ie; wake up):biggrin:

wishing you the best and better days ahead,

least
yeah.. I'm kinda wondering if I'll notice a diffrence after the first few weeks

hmm.. thats an intresting theory on the suicide risks ... makes sense..

:laugh: funky dreams how funny..

thx

eih

I have been taking Lexapro for a little over 2 weeks with absolutely no side effects, it is a 10 mg dose though, I think thats relatively small am I right?
I'm not sure if its helped me though.

My depression is due to my circumstances, its not because I was born depressed or because of my body/brain chemistry, its my situation, and I'm not sure if these drugs would help much in my particular situation.
that sucks if they cant help you.. and I'm pretty sure 10mg is pretty small.. I think mines more than that..

TLA

Antiquitie's Friend
Personally, IMO it is ok to see others experiences, but you should see what works best for you. Depends, if you want the mood tolighten or if it is so slight, you think that meds are not needed.
Every person is different, every chemical make-up is specific and you cannot say all users of "XY" drug will be suicidal. You have to see what is good for YOU. Only you (by knowing your brain, body and moods) + your doc will figure out the right combo. If you are aware of the danger (which you are) that does help.
The side effects of your arms being heavy are not bad, if you cannot get up or walk, if you vomit, get allergies or get a rash, that is immediate. Then, your doc needs to know. If you cannot reach dr. call hospital.

I have tried several antidepressants over many years. I hated taking meds at first, but was so curious if it would help my moods. I wanted to get me out of the dark times I was always in and not always get angry. I did not start at age 27. I am now on Cybalta.
Also, like others said you must researchon your own and ask questions to nurse, friends, us. Then do not back down with doc, but be assertive about your treatment. Tell them what u want to try and why. Why do you think this will work? Or "I read about this one, do you agree or think it may help me?" such as that.A
PM me with any questions/help. All drugs are not all bad, they treat your symptoms not make you well. Good luck!!

i've had a really bad experience with them
they definately increased the quantity & severity of my suicidal thoughts
i'm supposed to be taking them mainly for anxiety
and i guess they've helped a little in that area
but i'm afraid they may have made me not care enough about certain things
& yet i still worry like crazy when it comes to others
i'd really like to get off them

i gave them a try & they didn't work
but i think that each person is different
so if you think it's a good idea, you should at least give them a try
if they only make things worse, then tell your doctor & have them take you off of them.

The psychologist thinks anti depressants are a good idea, and I do too. But my mum knows the side affects as she used to be a nurse, and she's against it. Is there a way I can persuade her otherwise?

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Your mom, being a nurse, may have seen the side effects on 'other people' but can't tell in advance what, if any, side effects YOU may get from any of the various antidepressants, so perhaps it's best for you to give them a go and see what happens from there. Only YOU can discover what side effects you may have from certain drugs - you can't depend on the experiences of others.

least

TheBLA

The biggest loser ever to live.
I've been taking Lexapro for a while, I know for sure it hasn't given me any side effects or done anything bad at all.

However, sometimes I feel that it hasn't done me any good and then sometimes I feel that it has helped. Like since I took the drug, I think about suicide a lot less and my depression is a bit low too but maybe thats only because I love laptops and I bought a new cool one?? I dunno if its the drug or the laptop.

Anyways, it certainly hasn't done me any harm. I don't have much faith in drugs to help me anyways, only I can help myself but I just refuse to.

Bob26003

Anti Depressants work for alot of people. SSRIs I assume you are talking about?

The effects are not instantaneous not will you be impressed.

The effects are gradual and you probably will not feel them, but eventually you will notice them.

For me, SSRIs keep me from going into those deep deep feelings of pain. They level out my emotional state.

For this, I think they are useful. I am still sad, but I dont have the emotional dips and peaks. And this is a good thing.

Give it a shot. Dont expect any overnight miracles.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00