Anti-suicide drug

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Danialla, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danialla

Danialla Well-Known Member

I posted this question in the depression section, but a lot of people don't identify their suicidal ideation with depression per se (I don't) so here goes............

The medication clozaril has been approved by the FDA as an anti-suicidal drug. Has anyone tried it? Has it been suggested but you've turned it down due to side effects and the weekly blood work.

I have taken it before and it was suggested again just wondering if anyone else has experience with the med.

Thank you.

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I have not taken it nor has anybody I know but based on the reading I am guessing that if your doctor is discussing this with you then you have had a lot of other options exhausted already. On the plus side , with it being administered only through the national registry program, you will be very closely monitored - far more than with any other drug I am familiar with. Ads a side note, after reading through it I would say your personal decision really should be based on how compliant you are with medication in general. If you traditionally do not take them nearly 100% exact t directions then this would probably be a very poor choice of treatment for you. Not only would skipping doses or the occasional medication self harm of taking extra (some call it overdosing or attempts but really most consider the chronic minor OD type patient just another method of self harm) be bad with the side effects listed and what makes them occur, but it says very clearly it would have no benefits, just side effects if not maintained at a very very regular level. This is something your doctor may or may not be able to know truthfully with you so you can answer that one for yourself.

I hope you find somebody with more direct experience to answer your questions than just my reading that you have already done, and good luck with whatever course of treatment you choose- I hope you find something that helps and soon. :hug:

3. Danialla

Thank you for your response NY. I am very medication compliant and have tried many, many treatment options including ongoing ECT. I am wondering if a small dose will help derail the almost constant thoughts. I worry that a large dose would jeopardize my full time job, something that is more important to me now then clear thinking. Oh well, what we do just to exist:(. Again, thank you.

4. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Th every common sedation side effect would definitely be something I would be concerned with if trying to work full time as well. I would suggest if you decide to give it a try to time the start of it with a few days or week off from a scheduled vacation or long weekend at a minimum to see if it left you too tired to work. Good luck with it however you decide.

5. Danialla

Thank you

6. AAA3330

AAA3330 Well-Known Member

I've been on Clozaril for about a few months. My problem is Schizophrenia. I don't think that it is helping me. Getting the weekly blood tests is a pain. It's free for me through the manufacturer's program.

7. Danialla

Thank you for your reply. Although I do not have schizophrenia I do have what would probably be called psychotic depression. Even though I don't feel your common depressed feelings. Heck I just know that my pdoc and I agree I am not your typically depressed patient, it makes treatment difficult. How much clozaril our you on? Is the sedation really bad? Does it help at all with suicidal thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

8. AAA3330

AAA3330 Well-Known Member

I take 200mg in the morning and 300mg at night. It may help with the suicidal thoughts, but I'm still suicidal. I don't notice it sedating me. I don't think that it would interfere with your ability to work.

9. Danialla

Thank you so much for your input. I wish you much luck in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.