Anti-suicide laws?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by sucidalgirl99, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sucidalgirl99

sucidalgirl99 Well-Known Member

What are some anti-suicide laws in other countries and what not?
  2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

If you try suicide in any country you get locked away and get a permanent record - without a trial.

If only it was merely illegal.
  3. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

In the United States, nearly all suicide laws have become obsolete, and very seldom, if ever, enforced and punishable by time in jail or prison.
  4. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I believe this site discusses the issue rather well. It's a very good question.
  5. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

The prisons have all been replaced with psych wards...
  6. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

I think the best way of it to look at how it works is this:

Suicide is not illegal and you technically have the freedom to do it as an individual; that said if you *want* to kill yourself you're in a mentally unstable state, therefore you're not of sound mind therefore you are unable to make your own important decisions therefore you should be hospitalized to be made of sound mind again. It's not impermissible; there's no punishment. It mandates treatment however.

Catch 22. I don't necessarily agree with it (I think it can certainly be true often though) but I think that's the best way to consider the way it's legally considered.
  7. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

In Scotland, suicide attempts are classed as 'breach of the peace' and as such are offences, however it is rarely used for this reason. There is no law against suicide though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.